Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 01:19 PM

Default which type of pro tools system would fit?

Well,
I use the MPC 2000XL to make foundation tracks on, and I was going to a guy to learn pro tools. He was a bit too arrogant for me, so I decided to purchase my own pro tools system system or daw. I've been looking at a akai dps 24, but haven't had such luck, but since I own 2 macs already, I wanted to lean towards a more software system anyway.
I would be looking for a system that could record & play back 24 tracks @ 96khz (uncompressed of course).
I'm open to any suggestions. I've been looking at the bundle packages, but I don't have a clue which would fit my needs. I'm also trying to figure out exactly what I need (digital mixer, another power amp).
Like I said, I'm just looking for something to accompany my mpc and finish out my tracks.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Default Re: which type of pro tools system would fit?

Hey....!
Errrr...it depends on your budget!
In my opinion, I would get a MBox2 Pro (96k/24b available, up to 32 tracks).Also you need to sync and control your MPC thru the interface so this interface provides some MIDI connections.
As long as you don't need a lot of simultaneous inputs for multi tracking you don't need to go for a 002 or 003 or Rack version.
Control...You can wether use your DAW to "mix" directly on the screen or you can get a control surface COMPATIBLE with Protools.It really depends if you prefer feeling the faders and knobs, but the results will be the same.D-Command or Command 8 are very good.
What do you mean by "power amp" ?Is it for monitoring?Unless you want to run a state of the art studio you should use some active monitors.
Big system with power amp and passive monitors are quite expensive and unless you have a pro designed room, it isn't really worth it.
I don't have any Digidesign Stock Options but Protools is the best so far (I've already tried and worked on Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, Cakewalk).Protools is really addictive.I can't imagine record and mix without.
Choice is yours, but I wouldn't hesitate a sec!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Why 96k?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-10-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Hey....!
Errrr...it depends on your budget!
In my opinion, I would get a MBox2 Pro (96k/24b available, up to 32 tracks).Also you need to sync and control your MPC thru the interface so this interface provides some MIDI connections.
As long as you don't need a lot of simultaneous inputs for multi tracking you don't need to go for a 002 or 003 or Rack version.
Control...You can wether use your DAW to "mix" directly on the screen or you can get a control surface COMPATIBLE with Protools.It really depends if you prefer feeling the faders and knobs, but the results will be the same.D-Command or Command 8 are very good.
What do you mean by "power amp" ?Is it for monitoring?Unless you want to run a state of the art studio you should use some active monitors.
Big system with power amp and passive monitors are quite expensive and unless you have a pro designed room, it isn't really worth it.
I don't have any Digidesign Stock Options but Protools is the best so far (I've already tried and worked on Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, Cakewalk).Protools is really addictive.I can't imagine record and mix without.
Choice is yours, but I wouldn't hesitate a sec!
MY budget is max at $3000 for now.
Would any of the bundle packages work, like those I see on instrument sites? The power amp was my fault, I forget that pro tools is software. More than likely I would get a digital mixer. I'm more concerned with simultaneous record & play back because I know there's a limit on the daw's. I would need an interface with 1/4 or midi to hook up a few things.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 AM

what is the most simultaneous amount of tracks you need to record at one time?

An Mbox2 Pro Might not help you if you need to record like 5 tracks at once.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
what is the most simultaneous amount of tracks you need to record at one time?

An Mbox2 Pro Might not help you if you need to record like 5 tracks at once.
I would like to record at least 8 simultaneous, and if my budget permits it, 16 simultaneous.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Well with PT LE Interfaces the most amount of tracks you can record at one time at 96k is 10.
To do that you would need a 002/r or a 003/r and either a 2 channel spdif AD converter or a preamp with spdif out that can handle at least 96k. You would also need some preamps because the 002s and 003s only have 4 built on.

I would suggest not recording at 96k and getting something like a 002/r or a 003/r and a Presonus Digimax LT which hooks up through the ADAT (light pipe) in and gives you another 8 tracks with 8 preamps up to 48k.

You would then have 4 preamps on the interface with another 4 Line inputs, and the Presonus would have 8 preamps , so you would have a total of 12 preamps to get started. You would still be able to open and mix 96k sessions, just not track that through the ADAT input
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Better Yet.

Get 2 of these
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiMaxFS/

1 of this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFireLB

and the Pro Tools M-Powered Software.

That will be cheaper, and give you 16i/o at 96K
and the pre's and converters probably sound better than the 002/3's

And Pro Tools Mpowered is exactly the same as LE except for like 3 things
They're, Doesn't support DV Toolkit (i think it might just be the first one)
Doesn't support like the old Control 24 or something.
then some other stupid thing.