Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 01-26-2023, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Protools multichannel now requires HDX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Also, before Covid all our studio's were fully booked. Now half of them have been empty for years. Most of our (freelance) crew is working from home these days, parttime or even fulltime. None of them is buying Avid interfaces or hardware other than the s1. This can't be good in the long term.

I really want to drink the kool-aid but it's hard
Same situation here. No one is using Avid interfaces at home anymore. I was all in when they announced MTRX Studio until I saw it was Digilink only. Pointless. When the Omni was released I and many others asked why it couldn't be a direct connect interface. They felt the performance wasn't there IIRC. I suspected the real reason was they had too much stock of HDN/HDX cards.

There are two problems that I'll keep repeating until they're resolved.

1. The MTRX Studio is for sale with no way to actually connect it unless you add a useless $5k HDX card.

2. Dante (DVS) is not viable and real Dante still gives you no way to resolve to frame-edge sync. So you're back to the useless $5k HDX card plus a $4k Sync X (of which you don't need 99% of its features.)

Simple solution from my lay person brain - shoe horn the HD Native TB internals into the MTRX Studio. And finally allow PT to reference sync from the video peripheral.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:19 AM

It seems very intentional that Avid hardware is becoming a cool-aid that is harder and harder to drink. Jeff Rosica has a new cool-aid on the cards for everyone:

Quote:
"When people get a close look at who the company is today and where we're going, I think people realize this really is the opportunity for, and the story of a growing subscription and SAS software business. And that's where our future is. And that's where we're growing as an organization. That's why we're becoming, as, as successful as we have been the last year or two, we're going to have some element of hardware and some of the old business model, but that's becoming a smaller and smaller part of the business as the software subscription and SaaS business grows as a part of the company."

His comments here seem pretty telling of the direction Avid are moving in. It seems like it is purely the path of least resistance. A slimmed down hardware lineup with stuff like the Mbox Studio, S1, Carbon and Carbon Pre. Unimaginative, recycled/minimal R&D stuff that they think will sell in high quantities and maximize their returns. No doubt it will also be very dependent on Pro Tools software subscriptions as a result of being released to market while in active beta, and developed & implemented over the following years.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 01-27-2023 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
A slimmed down hardware lineup with stuff like the Mbox Studio, S1, Carbon and Carbon Pre. Unimaginative, recycled/minimal R&D stuff that they think will sell in high quantities and maximize their returns.
Well, the Carbon may have recycled some stuff from the S6L but, it actually was kinda innovative in terms of integrating DSP into both the interface and the DAW (although, I suppose, LUNA might have actually got there first).
Old 01-28-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Well, the Carbon may have recycled some stuff from the S6L but, it actually was kinda innovative in terms of integrating DSP into both the interface and the DAW (although, I suppose, LUNA might have actually got there first).
That seems like the epitome of form over function to me. Like saying "look at the half 1RU rack space we saved you over a HDX system" whilst also tossing out Windows support, expandable DSP and any chance of decent native latency in the process.

I think Luna was about a year earlier than the Carbon, but their interfaces also tick a lot more boxes within the Luna environment than Carbon does.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 01-28-2023 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:40 PM

Why that box was not Thunderbolt or USB is beyond me. How many different interface teams/products does Avid have competing with each other? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 04-13-2023, 02:41 AM

Update

There is now a TB3 option for the MTRX Studio.
Prayers have been answered.

https://www.avid.com/resource-center...he-mtrx-family

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...dule-announced