Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2003, 03:41 AM

Default Faders problems

I am having problems sliding the faders. Jittery movements, motors resisting. Is there any radical way of fixing it without the use of moisturizers? Does anyone know a way of recalibrating the response of the faders to the human touch ??
Old 01-13-2003, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Faders problems

Faders to what?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:38 AM

faders on the main console.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:00 AM

Are you talking about the 002 or C24?

Don't take this the wrong way.. but what's your weight and height.. and how many faders are you trying to adjust at the same time? If you also do have very dry hands, then it'll also mean that you'll need to use moisturizers.. that's the way it's always been with moving fader systems.. unless of course you have a faulty unit.

The question about weight and height .. I've seen lighter & shorter women engineers in the 5'1" range have trouble with some console moving fader automation seeing their atypical body attributes... whereas the average male 5'8" could adjust 10 faders.. they could only adjust 4 to 6.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-13-2003, 09:30 AM

I think the person above was talking about the 002. I've got the 002, and I'm having exactly the same problem.

There's no problem with moving the virtual faders in the protools, but if you try to move the faders on the actual console, they sometimes resist, as if the motor is fighting against it.

Glad to see I'm not the only one! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2003, 10:59 PM

thanks for your replies.
Actually I do not believe that Digidesign can manufacture any harware with such a basic problem that many users will have a major problem with. The faders on Digi002 resist to manipulation even in standalone mode. I am sure there is a way in re calibrating the trim pots in the console to respond better to the human touch, but I need the service manual that refers to this.
It is a ridiculous and basic issue. How come Digidesign never addressed this even though the problem exists on TDM stations as well.
Any radical way out??
Old 01-13-2003, 11:44 PM

I don't think it's a wide spread issue.. mine works fine.. I forgot to mention.. a high EMF area (electronic field) can cause the problem you have too.. the first SSL 9K in LA had the faders lock up solid because of EMF issues. If you live near a ham or radio station transmitter, or near power lines.. it could be an issue.

There should be some resistance... I'm taking it that you have no servo control at all - when you try and move the faders with your fingers, it's the same as trying to move them with your nail or a pencil?

Rail
Old 01-14-2003, 12:59 AM

What mode are your faders in???
Old 01-14-2003, 01:52 AM

Rail, I think you might have point with the transmitters issue. we have in same building where our offices are a radio station with its transmitters.
I have noticed as well, when I touch any metal part or chassis, the faders unlock and work fine. But can't work with one hand!!

Still is there a way around this? a Solution??
Old 01-14-2003, 02:02 AM

Well, the Record Plant at the time pulled out the 9K.. but obviously SSL redesigned it and now it works better... I'd call Digi in the morning and tell them about the problem and mention the EMF.. it's possible they could do a mod... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

What you can try.. and this could be voodoo... get an extension cord and plug it in the wall and lay it length wise below the 002 (under the faders).. try it with and without a current flowing through it and see if there's any noticable change.

Another thing to try.. attach a wire to the metal chassis of the 002 and try attaching the other end to ground - watch out for any voltage issues.. you may want to check with a voltmeter what the AC voltage between the ground and the 002 chassis is first.

Last resort.. you can use the "spoon trick" which we sometimes use with guitarists... attach a wire to the 002 chassis and the other end wrap around a conductive tea-spoon's handle.. place the spoon in your sock against your skin with the spoon end in first and the concave side against your skin.

Good luck.

Rail