Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-15-2002, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Learning how to use EQ

Hello. Here is a method I use that has worked very well in the past for me for mixdowns. Start with the vocals (lead and background), then go to drums, then rhythm instruments (rhythm guitars or keyboards), then horns and strings (if any are present), then leads and solos, and leave the bass guitar for last. I know, I know, very unorthodox, but it works for me.

Now here is where it applies to the EQ topic. Go for a very 'mid range' mix first. Concentrate on getting all instruments in the mix using mostly or all mid range frequencies. That is either cuting or boosting frequencies in the 650 hz to 2Khz to 2.5Khz range. Make sure everything is there. Listen to the mono foldown specially, on an Auratone, TV speaker or crappy speaker. Make sure it's a tight mix and it works at loud and soft levels, in stereo and mono, on different sets of monitors. Once you have that happening, fill in the lower and higher frequencies to taste and pull back on the mid range prevalence.

This method has worked out very well for me. I know a lot of people can't work that way, because it's too distracting or unorthodox. It has worked very well for me. And it has done wonders in helping me to understand EQ, and what it does and doesn't do, and how to use it. If nothing else, this may just be a good EQ exercise.

A graphic EQ (31 or more bands) is also very beneficial. Plug ins like Spectra Foo or consoles like the SSL with similar features, that show the spectrum of frequencies present in an audio signal is also very helpful in learning EQ.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2002, 08:10 AM

Hey Meat Truck, Check out this article:
http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0900/primer.htm

The site is pretty cool too and has lots of useful info. If some of the topics are locked out or require a password etc...you can try going forwards or backwards in "issues". I guess they're trying to get you to subscribe. During this months issue...you can't access this primer. I just clicked back a few issues and "voila!" Instant access.

I copy/pasted this from another thread where someone was just asking the same thing [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hope this helps you get going. Rick
Old 11-16-2002, 03:35 AM

Hi Meat, I agree with all the things that people have mentioned above. One thing I wanted to add was that a sound dude I respect suggested that instead of sweeping the EQ knobs through frequency ranges, disable the EQ, then take a guess and set up the EQ how you think it should be, then switch it back in. Doing it this way does take a bit more time but carries with it the benefit of training your ears to knowing what frequencies are where etc. so that as you get better you too will be able to hear that annoying freq. in the snare and think "it needs a little less 5k".

Cheers [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]