Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 04:38 AM

Default LTC chase problem in PT 7.2

We are using Protools HD 7.2, QUAD G5 2.0GHz, Tiger 10.4.7

We have BAUER projector connected with biphase to Colinbroad FC-1 Film Coder (biphase to timecode generator) and than to SYNC. Clock reference: LTC, Positional reference: LTC

There was no problem chasing timecode with 6.9.1 or 7.1 but 7.2 can chase timecode just on the first run until I rewind the film and than play it again it is waiting for sync for a long time (5-30 sec) sometime longer sometime never. It is better if I go offline with PT when the projector is in reverse but not everytime.
What can I do?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Re: LTC chase problem in PT 7.2

Hi there
Sorry I don't know the answer, but I think you'd get a quicker response if you moved your post to the "Post & Surround" forum on this board.

Good luck!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 09-18-2006, 10:03 AM

What is the clock-source in your setup? Are you using a sync I/O? Make sure the PT-rig is locked to house-sync plus LTC.

I´ve found that locking times to LTC in any PT-version randomly varries from 5-seconds to 15 seconds. Digi says it´s slow drives buffer size etc. but after many years of observation on various mixing-stages and various drive-setups (SCSI, SATA internal/external, FW400/800) and various master-controllers (soundmaster, CB etc.) I´ve always seen wide variations of locking times. I never really managed to find out what causes this. Sometimes it locks fast (for PT this means around 3-5 seconds) sometimes slow and sometimes it takes for ever. I haven´t tried 7.2 in chase mode on stage yet, so maybe there is something wrong..

frank.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
We are using Protools HD 7.2, QUAD G5 2.0GHz, Tiger 10.4.7

We have BAUER projector connected with biphase to Colinbroad FC-1 Film Coder (biphase to timecode generator) and than to SYNC. Clock reference: LTC, Positional reference: LTC

There was no problem chasing timecode with 6.9.1 or 7.1 but 7.2 can chase timecode just on the first run until I rewind the film and than play it again it is waiting for sync for a long time (5-30 sec) sometime longer sometime never. It is better if I go offline with PT when the projector is in reverse but not everytime.
What can I do?
Problem seems to be solved. It was another gain setting "LTC Servo Gain" in SYNC. We have changed the devices with new PT 7.2 in machine room and new SYNC factory LTC Servo Gain is set to -2 and older SYNC used with 7.1 and 6.9 was set to 0.