Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Recording Drums from Reason ??!!

Ok, I've been doing quite a bit of recording in PT6.7 over the last several months. But with my 6.7 came a version of Reason. I am just now starting to play with it. I've figured out how to come up with patterns (though I'm not sure how I link them together as a song, but thats another issue!!) ..... so how do I record these into a PT session??? This is driving me nuts. I tried the small amount of guiding info in PT manuals, but it didn't say anything about RECORDING, just how to set up through rewire to a track . . . .
PLEAAASSSEEEE HELP !!
thanks everyone

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Recording Drums from Reason ??!!

The best way if you're using Reason Adapted is to trigger Reason from a MIDI track in PT (if you are using a controller keyboard) as the midi key editor doesn't work in this version of Reason. (at least that i could tell.

Anyway..even if you are just using the beats in Reason the setup is the same.

Create a stereo AUX track...Put Reason on it ..set the OUTPUT of the AUX channel to any available BUSS (IE: 9-10)

Create a Stereo AUDIO track....and set the INPUT to this channel to the bus selected above and then put this channel in record.

Go to the start of your session and hit record..what is played in reason will be recorded to the Audio channel.

The only thing I can't remember is if you need to hit start in reason..due to no midi info if you are just recording beats from reason.

You can record a few minute of reason ..or just a couple bars and loop it in PT

hope this helps
bb

MAC G5 PPC OSX 10.4.9 / PT 7.3 HD2 - I/O 192 /Control 24

DELL Dual Core, MBOX/003R PT 8 WIN XP
Old 11-23-2005, 04:44 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but I ever tried that. I just use and stereo aux channel with Reason as a plug-in. Then just compose the track at the bottom.

As far as composing drum tracks in Reason you use the bottom white grid. I'm trying to think of a way to describe it verbally, but I can't. Read the manual it's really not too difficult. I could show you, but that's probably not feasible either.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:52 PM

appreciate the feedback, everyone.
Well I read all the booklets, and even tried the video tutorial on how to record that is on propellerhead website ..... however, at bottom of Reason in the Sequencer, I hit record button, and while sound happens, no notes or data seems to be recorded in the Reason program itself.
I'm really not sure how to do it.
I know you're not going to be able to show me, but any help would be great (try best to explain, direct me to right manuals, etc....)

thanks again for replies guys!

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 11-23-2005, 05:15 PM

In reason..make sure the little midi icon is on the drum machine you are using..at the left on the bottom sequencer. rewind to zero..hit record then play...and it should be recording.

I just did this the other night it recorded fine (actually it was a keyboard part with a drum track.

I went to fix my keyboard part only to realise there is no midi editor in adapted.

bit it recorded fine.

bb

Old 11-24-2005, 06:29 AM

hhmmm, I thought I tried that .... but how are the tracks set up? Is it through an Aux Track? Am I recording to a Midi track or to an Audio track??
thanks for the help so far

TDub

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 AM

Quote:
hhmmm, I thought I tried that .... but how are the tracks set up? Is it through an Aux Track? Am I recording to a Midi track or to an Audio track??

TDub
Go to the DISK and watch the movie. It will help you.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:

TDub
I have it figured out! Finally!

Here's what worked for me in LE 6.9 with my midi keyboard USB'd to my PC.

1)Midi Track-
Input - All
Output - Redrum 10

2) Aux Track - With Reason Plugin
Input - Bus 1
Output - Bus 9-10

3) Stereo Audio Track -
Input - Bus 9-10
Output - Analog 1-2

4) Rewire-
Output set to L or R

5) Redrum-
Stereo Out L&R
to Channel 1 of Mixer
Mixer master out L&R
to channel 1&2 of Hardware Interface

6) When you record arm the tracks you can hear it.
When you record arm the tracks and transport and record (hit play) your midi notes are recorded to the midi track and the audio is recorded to the audio track.

I'm going to keep working on this to figure out how to optimize he system. I want to do the above without outputing from the mixer master so you can control other devices in reason to seperate tracks in Protools.

This should be a thread where when we get this all figured out and detailed it's saved for others. This shouldn't be this hard for us newbies.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:47 AM

Ok I'm getting there, I think. That worked for me to record into the Audio track, which is a good start. It didn't record anything into the midi track though (not life or death, I'm happy to get it in audio).
However in the reason program itself, I would like to be able to see it record down in the Sequencer place, like in the video tutorial on propellerhead website. It seems it should record the data there if I wanted to, without even going through ProTools. Then i could save that data/song, loop it, quantize it, etc.... But it doesn't record the data.
I'm not sure why!!!
I appreciate everyone playing around and trying to figure this out with me!
thanks

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 11-24-2005, 12:26 PM

You are recording the output of Reason to an Audio track..if you have it armed.

but you can start by recording the sequence to the reason sequencer..build up the track Then record it to protools.

If using adapted..you have to set up a midi channel in protools to control reason with some midi input ie keyboard , drum pad or just draw in stuff on the midi channel...

Reason is setup on a stereo aux channel and works like a multi unit sound bank.

what gets a bit confusing is that Reason is also a sequencer and can record to itself as well

Think of it as a keyboard workstation...that you can build up a track of drums bass keys etc..

but at some point if you want to record what Reason is playing ..you then record the output of reason either a mix to a stereo audio trk..or instrument buy intrument to separate audio tracks

it is easier than I can explain it.

bb