Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2015, 03:52 AM

Default PT11HD - Drag'n'drop imports wrong file...

Hi there,

So I use PT 11 HD and a Windows8.
When I use the drag'n'drop file from desktop or from the workspace, I see the "selection" of the clip i'm trying to import, and I can put it on a track, as usual.
But when I release the mouse click, some kind of black magic happens and it is NOT the file I drag'n'dropped that's on my track but another one from the Clips list. (looks like it's random or so, couldn't find any link between the files, name size, length or such...)

So it's impossible to import this new file...

When drag'n'drop into the clip list, it just appear for a few milliseconds in the clips and then vanishes...

Import Audio seems to work though... But not really usable when you're importing a file for post prod editing out of a 20k + soundbank...

Really strange...
Any ideas?

(i tried the "start ProTools as admin", but then you can't drag'n'drop anymore (forbidden icon appearing))
Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 AM

Default Re: PT11HD - Drag'n'drop imports wrong file...

same here from time to time...
Old 04-01-2015, 05:18 PM

Same here and it's totally screwing me. I work in post audio for film so being able to audition and drag n drop audio is essential. This is the 2nd project this has happened to me on and so far I can't find a fix. I'm on a Mac PT11HD v 11.2.1.203
Old 04-01-2015, 06:24 PM

FYI: I just backed everything up and updated to PT11HD 11.3.1 to no avail. The session is still not importing audio properly. This is horrible news. I was really hoping the update would fix this problem.....
Old 04-29-2015, 03:23 PM

I've been getting this consistently in 11.3.1 on mac
REALLY annoying
Old 04-29-2015, 04:07 PM

I have had this consistently for the last five days on a project, I finally found a work around. 'Save Copy In' but tick the box that converts all files to a selected format, thus creating new media with all the same format. I then use that copy session as my new master session, works perfectly now.
S6 32 Fader
32 Gb Ram
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM

I've seen this happen when someone created multiple files that had the same Unique ID but different content, usually in a different app.

If you have this happen to you, check the UID of the file you are dragging in against the sound it ends up "magically converting" to. I'll bet they are the same.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Same thing here! Just spent 30 min with Avid support and the support rep said that that "drying and Dropping the file onto the track is not the proper way to import files into ProTools" What a joke!!! He would not get me to a supervisor when i asked.
Will try save session as and hope it works, it is pretty pathetic that support can not solve this issue when others have solved it on the forums.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 PM

What is frustrating is that that Avid with this kind of incompetent support will not even know this is a problem so there will be no need to fix it!!

Come on AVID!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 PM

I never had this problem until yesterday. A simple restart fixed it then. Another day and it pops up again, restart not changing the behavior. Dragging from Soundminer or the finder is doing the same thing. Whenever I import a file it will replace the first 3 seconds of the top most channel (on mono, stereo, 5.1 etc) with a 3 second clip already in my timeline. Same one every time.

If longer than that, the rest of the clip is silent. Or sometimes it looks like it spots that rogue clip on top of the imported clip but I can't select, edit or do anything with it. I just hit undo. If I drag to clip list it does the same. And if I delete it from the timeline it and drag from the clip list (where it has the correct name) it shows up with the incorrect audio.

Import from file menu works but I can't be doing that on every clip as I'm doing sound design via Soundminer. This is so frustrating. Anyone find any other solutions. I'm doing a save copy in and deleting all unused clips. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

I'm on 11.2.1 on 10.8.5. I've moved up with each update and each time I go back to 11.2.1 becuase its been the most stable for me.