Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Certainly not the first to say this, but...

That is one way to look at it, and it might be how it plays out.

Another way to look at it is that once a subscription model is in place, what is the incentive to make major changes to the software? Avid no longer gets that big income boost that they used to get when releasing a major upgrade. If it is their intention to go into "harvest mode" (not saying they are) they could choose to leave the software as is, or make only small, mostly cosmetic changes to give the appearance of upgrades.

They have promised smaller, more concise upgrades. That idea seems fraught with potential problems to this long-time Software Engineer and Project Manager. I would feel differently if Avid had a sparkling QA record of flawless releases. But if a QA department can't eliminate major bugs in a major release with a long test cycle, how will they catch them with much shorter test cycles? True, sometimes smaller releases mean more contained code changes, but often that is not the case. For example, it's hard to believe that code changes for collaboration and cloud computing can be isolated to a small area. And regression testing the whole product is always required.

We'll see how it plays out.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
<Stuff removed>

And, by removing the need for the engineering department to feed into and support the marketing department, it becomes possible for the engineering department to be more responsive to users, and to their ideas.

So, the changes Avid is making in their various "models" may well be of far more benefit to users than they imagine...
Old 02-19-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
I find it amazing that Avid found it more advantageous to tout a new version of PT where the biggest change is this un-asked-for 'collaboration/marketplace' stuff, as opposed to front-loading a new version with fixes and features from the IdeaScale Top 10, and making the collaboration/marketplace aspect more of a "Plus, you also get" component.

Eh, but who am I?
You are among many, an avid, AVID client which AVID should have listened to, a very long time go....

Where I come from there is a saying going like this... If you don't want to listen, you are going to have to feel.....
Old 02-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
We, and Avid, really are in big trouble if Bill is considered prime Avid marketing material.

To be fair though, Bill and yourself Bob ARE the two biggest Avid fanboys on the DUC these days. When even the DUC mods are expressing concern, at least the two of you can be relied upon to put a positive spin on the subject.

If you guys aren't on Avid's payroll, well you should be, because you say more in their defence than anyone else I can think of. Even the Avid Marketing chief (Tony Cariddi) has decided to keep his head down, and yet here you are, day after day, preaching the 'jam tomorrow' mantra.

As much as I am incredulous, I can't help but respect your loyalty.
But if Bob and Bill get paid from Avid, i think Avid is just wasting money on them. Because their replies do not even make any sense at all. I've already ignored their UNLOGICAL thought and just skipt their comments.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 PM

If AVID's paying people for positive post....I'll take mine in a HD|N system pls and thank you!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM

I sure wish I was being paid!
Old 02-19-2015, 06:21 PM

Default Certainly not the first to say this, but...

I love AVID's new subscription model!!!!

I think they should charge more for the industry standard

PM me for the address to ship my HDN setup!!! Omni is fine with PT 11 HD
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 PM

That's how it works, right? One person is the Vox Populi, and everyone else who doesn't agree are dirty shills who have been bribed to speak against the truth!

Ugh, at first I quite enjoyed the new culture of outrage here on the DUC, but it's become a bit repetitive.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post

To be fair though, Bill and yourself Bob ARE the two biggest Avid fanboys on the DUC these days.

If you guys aren't on Avid's payroll, well you should be.
Wow, and to think I used to enjoy reading Nigel's posts, because they had a good sense of clarity and reason to them amidst all the noise and clutter.

But now Nigel, you have reached down into the gutter, a dated one at that, and have actually deemed to resurrect the term… fanboy…!
really? because they have a different POV?

It's one thing to respectfully disagree
Even lexaudio who has disagreed a lot with Bill for example, never stooped that low.

I am in agreement with a lot of the negative feelings in here
and in fact I have not upgraded, and won't until I see what they do with the HD plans.
(and may just lock in.)

I like to hear both sides of the story;
and even Bill, for all his arrogant bombast, has managed to sneak in a few nuggets of truthiness, as Bill L referenced in an intelligent post in the other thread.

Bob has done far more to further the discourse in this forum than almost anyone else, and has a stellar track record as a pro.
Shame, Nigel for taking the low road of doubling down by impugning their integrity and personal morality suggesting they are paid shills.

But Daniel was funny in mocking it!

Je suis for free expression,
e