Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2014, 02:57 AM

Default Field Recorder Workflow issues in PT 11.2.1

I've done many projects with FRW, but PT11.2.1 seems to do something different and I can't really pinpoint what. I have been going back to PT10 for FRW, because often PT11.2.1 doesn't find the audio to expand.
Today I had this situation again and I think it has something to do with hitting "Save and index" -> didn't work
Hitting "save" did work.
The other possible issue might be that one has to select the folder with audio instead of being in the folder (was never a problem in PT10). I don't have time to further investigate.
Anyone else sees this?

I could add that in PT11.2.1 often "relinking" audio only works partly and needs a second pass to find all audio (that might have been moved to another disk). I think this might be related to the above.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 09-25-2014, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Field Recorder Workflow issues in PT 11.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
I've done many projects with FRW, but PT11.2.1 seems to do something different and I can't really pinpoint what. I have been going back to PT10 for FRW, because often PT11.2.1 doesn't find the audio to expand.
Today I had this situation again and I think it has something to do with hitting "Save and index" -> didn't work
Hitting "save" did work.
The other possible issue might be that one has to select the folder with audio instead of being in the folder (was never a problem in PT10). I don't have time to further investigate.
Anyone else sees this?

I could add that in PT11.2.1 often "relinking" audio only works partly and needs a second pass to find all audio (that might have been moved to another disk). I think this might be related to the above.

Greetings,

Thierry
As far as relinking goes it's still not working as it should. They also broke something when 11 came out.
If you have offline video in the relink items list and you select those together with audio PT won't even start searching and tell you that nothing was found. You have to relink audio and video separately to make it work.
Used to work fine under 10, not anymore under 11.
In my project it sometimes takes me 3-4 relink passes till everything's online again and that without even changing the folders to search for.

AVID claims that we do not have to delete DBs anymore since 11 but this is clearly not the case. Deleting DBs still fixes many of these issues, but even sometimes with freshly deleted DBs relinking takes a long time and plenty of "support" by the user.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ed/115904-3779

Frank.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 AM

I agree.
I'm using this extensively on my current film and it is incredibly flakey on 11.2.1.
Sometimes it will find audio sometimes not. All the folders of audio from my Recordist are nested in week day and card and I'm not sure PT always drills down into all the folders?

If you use the expand to track its just so much of a mess, what with it pulling back all the stuff from the AAF too, why can't they make it so it just searches the folder you point to?

The only way I've found to work with it that doesn't drive me crazy is to individually re-link each clip to the track I want! Time consuming to say the least, but at least that's more manageable.

This feature shows so much promise, it can't be that tough to get it to work better?
Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 AM

Also Thierry, yes you do have to select the top folder, not be in the folder.
I found that too.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I agree.
I'm using this extensively on my current film and it is incredibly flakey on 11.2.1.
Sometimes it will find audio sometimes not. All the folders of audio from my Recordist are nested in week day and card and I'm not sure PT always drills down into all the folders?

If you use the expand to track its just so much of a mess, what with it pulling back all the stuff from the AAF too, why can't they make it so it just searches the folder you point to?

The only way I've found to work with it that doesn't drive me crazy is to individually re-link each clip to the track I want! Time consuming to say the least, but at least that's more manageable.

This feature shows so much promise, it can't be that tough to get it to work better?
I have seen cases where sometimes it expands to new tracks, but misses some or many clips - and also cases where it won't expand at all (meaning it just creates a dupe of the Field Recorder Track).

Because of the intermittent relink issues since 11.1 (where it can't find links for media you know is there) I went on the theory that this was a database problem.

So I did a few hours of testing yesterday and reproduced a 100% failure to expand - with a change in workflow that made it 100% successful - and reported it to Avid.

At first I thought it had to do with whether you picked the immediate folder for "Save and Index" or whether you picked a folder a few levels up from there. This turned out not to be the case.

Starting with a fresh database for each test, I discovered that I would get a 100% failure to expand (just the dupe of the Field Recorder track).

If I did the following, I would get 100% success -

1) Trash the database files, then launch Pro Tools
2) Launch the session containing the track you want as Field Recorder
3) Make the track a "Field Recorder Track"
4) Choose "Select areas to search"
5) Add the production sound folder as a place to search, then click "Save and Index"
6) REOPEN the "Select Areas to Search" and click the "Save and Index" button again
7) "Expand Channels to New Tracks by Match Criteria"

The other way to insure success is to "Update Index" on the production media folder before you "Select Areas to Search"

BY THE WAY - like some of the other relink issues, this reproduces in PT 11.1 or later. Does not happen in 11.0.2, does not happen in 10.3.9.

Again, I've reported it to Avid, with neutered files to reproduce the bug.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
As far as relinking goes it's still not working as it should. They also broke something when 11 came out.
If you have offline video in the relink items list and you select those together with audio PT won't even start searching and tell you that nothing was found. You have to relink audio and video separately to make it work.
Used to work fine under 10, not anymore under 11.
In my project it sometimes takes me 3-4 relink passes till everything's online again and that without even changing the folders to search for.

AVID claims that we do not have to delete DBs anymore since 11 but this is clearly not the case. Deleting DBs still fixes many of these issues, but even sometimes with freshly deleted DBs relinking takes a long time and plenty of "support" by the user.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ed/115904-3779

Frank.
Frank, I reproduced the bug with video/audio being selected simultaneously and reported it to Avid. I found that this bug (like the FRW bug) was introduced in Pro Tools 11.1. Does not happen in 11.0.2 or 10.3.9.

Thanks for the tip off!! Feel free to directly feed me (Seymour?) other bugs.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Aha! I had this problem on Wednesday with a very simple mix. I received a referenced AAF (like I have from this editor before) and he gave me all the files I needed. Everything was in once folder except for the video. I could not relink anything. My only solution was to do it all one by one.

I know not Field Recorder, but another bad experience with relinking which is related and mentioned in this thread.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-29-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Caccavo View Post
Thanks for the tip off!! Feel free to directly feed me (Seymour?) other bugs.
Danny, where to start? There are about 400 bug-reports on ideascale:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...cussionID=1088

Frank.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:31 PM

Reporting bugs has zero effect on AVID. (See ideascale)
I still use Titan on every show. Expand has rarely worked correctly.
+1 to relink being broken
Old 09-30-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
Reporting bugs has zero effect on AVID. (See ideascale)
I still use Titan on every show. Expand has rarely worked correctly.
+1 to relink being broken
Then you are generating PT9 sessions (the latest Titan can do AFAIK) with all its limitations (no polywavs etc)?

I try to avoid Titan nowadays and FRW works rather well, but it needs some massaging and care

Greetings,

Thierry