Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Default Recommendations for mix to video

I'm mixing live in L-C-R mode on a Profile for a college choral production with canned music and 20 mics. I need to send a stereo feed to video. I'm thinking that I will use two matrix mixes composed of matrix one with main left and the center channel to left on the video feed along with matrix two composed of the main right and center channel being sent to right on the video feed.

If someone has a better idea for this mix, I'd appreciate any input you might have that would be easier to use or provide a more efficient way to mix to video. I currently have no limitations on using axes, variable groups or matrices. Any help provided would be much appreciated.

I use solos to do mic checks, etc..., so sending the monitor mix to video is out as a means to accomplish the stereo feed to video.

Shawn
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Recommendations for mix to video

If I understand correctly, you will be mixing live and sending a separate mix to video?

If you have Avioms or Avid PQs I would send that to video and have a 2nd engineer on that end mixing it for them.

If crew is limited or if it is a set it and forget it situation, then I'd go with the Matrix.

Another thought is to mix it in ProTools if you are recording. Send the PT stereo out to Vid.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM

Remix later will always be the very best option. Don't forget that audience mics are very essential part of post audio mix while you don't obviously need them in your PA mix.

So if I were you I would record everything including audio mics, at least a pair from stage and a pair from FOH and mix it later. If that is not an option I would try to setup a second mix position somewhere in the building or a post van and do a mix for video from there. If that position lacks of processing I would send them groups so that they would only need to set the levels, and some basic EQ. Send them canned music as a stereo pair, lead mics, backing vocals and FX, all as stereo pairs, or lead vox mics as separate channels, all depending on the availability of resources. What RobMacki suggested using Avioms or PQ controllers is also an option if you have no way to get a separate console. PQ has 12 channel mixer, this gives you basic control. Getting L/R L/C/R from FOH is worst of the all above.

I have a friend who successfully practices a third option, He mixes the show in the Van / isolated room on studio speakers for TV and this signal minus audience mics is then sent to the FOH as a stereo pair. This might be an option if you don't need to go that loud in the audience area and your PA system is well tuned and you have someone to look after these two channels levels at the FOH.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Here's what I would do. Take a PQ or else take two Matrix's and link them together to be a stereo pair. Put L, R, and C in as sources and pan them respectively. Then pull the level of C down -3 dB; the user guide, the monitor buss is documented as mixing in C in an LCR setup at -3 dB down.

Then you can add audience/room mics in to the PQ to taste.

Patch the PQ/matrix's to a pair of outputs and send 'em to video world.

Dave