Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Default TC VSS3... very impressive

shopping for a new reverb I downloaded TC's VSS3 and TL space
they are both very nice but the VSS3 is really above anything else I tried
do we all agree on this? it is much smoother than the rest
I wanna spend the $700 because I think it's worth it but I want to make sure that I am not missing anything else

thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM

Default Re: TC VSS3... very impressive

VSS3 = Best Reverb for TDM and Out board of all time. I sold my Lexicon 960L as it finally came out. Beats the 960 in every category.

If I were you I'd check Revolver by McDSP - I use that even more. It is the most superior Convolution Reverb available and it is the first of it's kind to actually capture and play "rooms" the way they really sound.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 PM

TC Electronic is very shady with long term software support. I bought TC tools in 2002 it's no longer supported does not work on Intel Macs and Zero upgrade path from TC.
$750.00 down the drain
I will never buy software from TC ever again.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
VSS3 = Best Reverb for TDM and Out board of all time. I sold my Lexicon 960L as it finally came out. Beats the 960 in every category.

If I were you I'd check Revolver by McDSP - I use that even more. It is the most superior Convolution Reverb available and it is the first of it's kind to actually capture and play "rooms" the way they really sound.
Hey 25G,

So did the plugin sound as good than the hardware? Really?
I have the plugin as well and I have to say it is the best hands down. Their are some other good ones as well that are up there.

1. TC VSS3
2. Eventide Reverb
3. Arts Acoustic Reverb
4. TC DVR2
5. Revibe

Also, 25Ghost.... did you import all the patches from your 960L before you got rid of it and if so.... wanna share the luv?

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Breverb is another option...but not TDM, and not quite in the class of VSS3.
But easy on the cpu.

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
TC Electronic is very shady with long term software support. I bought TC tools in 2002 it's no longer supported does not work on Intel Macs and Zero upgrade path from TC.
$750.00 down the drain
Agreed.

UA offered discounts and a path to keep their plug-ins working when they dropped TDM support, even if it didn't work out for me, since it would involve adding another PCI card when I didn't have an open slot. At least they tried.

With TC, you can almost assume that your purchase will not be usable at all in a few years time, even if you are willing to pay for updates.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 AM

I dont think you can compare the L960 to the VSS3 - The 960 is just one big bath tub: Use it and you get Wet ! It had 4 short delays for early reflex... That sums it up.

The VSS3 is delicate and is able to create GREAT rooms etc. The VSS3 TDM compares directly to the System 6000...

I did not know that I could export the 960 pre's and import them into my VSS3 - so no I did not import them - I would have shared the love, though...

To the others angry at tcelectronic for backward compat. TC Tools were made by TC Works and NOT t.c.electronic. I guess there were some difficulties and now TC TOOLS which were german based and NOT danish - is long gone... I dont think TC Electronic is to blame for this....

PS | I'M in the same boat as you - I bought the TOOLS as well...

But I would feel kind of dumb if I would NOT get the greatest TDM verb of all time only cuz I wanna punish the company making it.... YOU are only punishing yourself - as you will never get to njoy VSS3 superiority with this kind of attitude
Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:

1. TC VSS3
2. Eventide Reverb
3. Arts Acoustic Reverb
4. TC DVR2
5. Revibe

VSS3 is the king! I would add Breverb to the list! And that's it!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I dont think you can compare the L960 to the VSS3 - The 960 is just one big bath tub: Use it and you get Wet !
The opinions of the 960L in this thread are among the least accurate I've ever seen. I can't imagine a scenario where it can be so misused that it would merit such a response.

The TC verb is a direct port from the 6000, but 99% of the people who have been able to directly compare the plugin and the hardware say that the hardware sounds better. Go figure. Regardless, the plugin is indeed a top-tier software reverb.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
$750.00 down the drain
Agreed.

UA offered discounts and a path to keep their plug-ins working when they dropped TDM support, even if it didn't work out for me, since it would involve adding another PCI card when I didn't have an open slot. At least they tried.

With TC, you can almost assume that your purchase will not be usable at all in a few years time, even if you are willing to pay for updates.
Agreed too.

I had bought TC Tools and Voice Tools and Master X 5+3! Nothing except the same old TC Master X3 (unchanged and non-updated for years) still exists. When I asked them about a special price or an upgrade path to their new plugins they first claimed not to understand and when I spelled it out for them again they never reacted.

NEVER will I buy anything TC again.