Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-12-2021, 11:40 AM

Default Possible bug

I just checked hardware insert accuracy and it's off by 1 sample.

Test:
1 mono track with a beep -> stereo aux track (stereo hardware inserted) -> stereo track records with Left channel one sample off.

Can someone tell me what's wrong? Also, can you recreate it to si if it's pro tools or the interface?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 20.34.15.jpg (32.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-12-2021, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Possible bug

Before we call this an "insert" bug, test again without the hardware insert as it may be unrelated to inserts. Have you gone into the IO setup>Insert Delay Compensation window and set a manual compensation amount? Hardware insert latency must be manually compensated for.

Next, where in the chain of events is the hardware insert? The screen shot looks like its on an AUX track(zooming in is useless as the resolution is too low for clarity). What happens if you simply bus to a new AUDIO track, record the sound and insert the hardware on the AUDIO track? What is the exact purpose of this(maybe there's a better way to achieve the same goal)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Before we call this an "insert" bug, test again without the hardware insert as it may be unrelated to inserts. Have you gone into the IO setup>Insert Delay Compensation window and set a manual compensation amount? Hardware insert latency must be manually compensated for.
I tested without the hw insert and both aves are in sync. Once I insert the hw, the L channel only is off by a sample (Why?)

Yes I did all the procedure in the I/O setup. But even if I don't, why is the L channel off by a sample in comparison to the R channel if both channels were fed by a mono source.

Quote:
Next, where in the chain of events is the hardware insert? The screen shot looks like its on an AUX track(zooming in is useless as the resolution is too low for clarity). What happens if you simply bus to a new AUDIO track, record the sound and insert the hardware on the AUDIO track? What is the exact purpose of this(maybe there's a better way to achieve the same goal)?
It's on the oux track just to feed a mono source to a stereo track, but to test if the hardware insert is done right you have to use an aux track and insert the hw on the aux for this. It's not needed if the source track is stereo.

Anyway, my issue is, why aren't both L and R waves in sync if they were fed by a mono source?
Old 06-12-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
What happens if you simply bus to a new AUDIO track, record the sound and insert the hardware on the AUDIO track? What is the exact purpose of this(maybe there's a better way to achieve the same goal)?
Did that too. L channel is off by a sample too.

It's kind of weird. Don't know if the Motu interface could have something to do...but it's too wierd
Old 06-13-2021, 12:23 AM

I even try to compensate it individually but the result is exactly the same.

If someone can do the same test to see if it's pro tools or something else?
Old 06-13-2021, 11:09 AM

Reaper does it too, so it might be an interface issue
Old 06-13-2021, 11:19 AM

Next step in troubleshooting would be getting rid of the AUX track.

So, duplicate your mono audio track (so you have two identical audio), create a stereo audio track, move your duplicate mono audio to L and R side of the stereo track (which is effectively the same as routing to AUX track) and then test again having the hardware insert on your stereo audio track.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:24 AM

Solved.

It was a Motu driver issue. I deleted all motu from the Mac and reinstall the drivers. All is ok now....pheeewww.

Thank you all.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:24 AM

Good to hear