Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Default How Do I Make A Pump/Chorus Beat?

Hello,

I'm inquiring on a trick that I would like to learn. I have a link posted below to a song that has this ever so cool "pump chorus". I've been trying to figure out how to do it, and it seems all the hit dance/pop songs are using it. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about? If you listen to the song posted in the link, skip forward to the chorus and you'll hear it. My guess is they're using a heavy compression to side chain with the kick drum... I could be totally wrong, and that's why I'm asking for some help! Thank you guys!

-Justin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGghkjpNCQ8
Pro Tools 10, 003 Rack, NI Maschine
www.youtube.com/firsty33
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Default Re: How Do I Make A Pump/Chorus Beat?

Honestly i am not sure what you mean with "pumping chorus" but if you mean the heavy limiting and side chained bass and kick then yes, that is what they did on this track. My collegue was there with Calvin when they put vocals on that song and we use that "effect" on all our edm/pop-house songs.

You just sidechain the bass with a kick and set compression VERY HARD and if you wanna make the pumping more predominant on the track just add a "key chord" to the sidechain track and set the compression accordingly

Best of luck
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 PM

SouthsideMusic, thank you that was simple and extremely helpful! I sent you a private message, did you receive it?
www.youtube.com/firsty33
Old 10-06-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Honestly i am not sure what you mean with "pumping chorus" but if you mean the heavy limiting and side chained bass and kick then yes, that is what they did on this track. My collegue was there with Calvin when they put vocals on that song and we use that "effect" on all our edm/pop-house songs.

You just sidechain the bass with a kick and set compression VERY HARD and if you wanna make the pumping more predominant on the track just add a "key chord" to the sidechain track and set the compression accordingly

Best of luck
Chris
Thanks soundside when you say Key Chord what do you mean by that. Would like to learn this trick :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Thanks soundside when you say Key Chord what do you mean by that. Would like to learn this trick :)

Hi

When we do that kind of trick we lay down a 3-4 note chord and sidechain that track to the same compressor/side chain comp that the kickdrum generates and that way you will have :

1 kick drum on a track with a heavy compressor.
2 side chain the bass track (send the signal from the kick track to the compressor on the bass track and the track with the chords you want to have pumping and that way you get both bass and chords sidechained from the kickdrum and it sounds awesome. You need to have the same type settings ( comp value etc ) on both the bass and the chord track so they pump in sync. We use the same settings on kick, bass and chord track compressors so we have a tight sync'd pumping and preferably a 4/4 ( 4 on the floor) beat.

EDM producers and house/dance producers do this most of the time and it works great for that type of pump feel.

Post back if you have any additional thoughts and I will try and help out as much as I can on that subject

Best of luck
Christopher

PS. I got your PM and I will send you a PM as soon as I can.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Default How Do I Make A Pump/Chorus Beat?

Quote:
Hi

When we do that kind of trick we lay down a 3-4 note chord and sidechain that track to the same compressor/side chain comp that the kickdrum generates and that way you will have :

2 side chain the bass track (send the signal from the kick track to the compressor on the bass track and the track with the chords you want to have pumping and that way you get both bass and chords sidechained from the kickdrum and it sounds awesome. You need to have the same type settings ( comp value etc ) on both the bass and the chord track so they pump in sync. We use the same settings on kick, bass and chord track compressors so we have a tight sync'd pumping and preferably a 4/4 ( 4 on the floor) beat.

EDM producers and house/dance producers do this most of the time and it works great for that type of pump feel.

Post back if you have any additional thoughts and I will try and help out as much as I can on that subject

Best of luck
Christopher

Thanks Chris I'm gonna be trying this out very soon :)

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hi

Best of luck
Christopher

Chris, can you explain how to lay down a 3-4 note chord? And I look forward to your PM!
www.youtube.com/firsty33
Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsty33 View Post
Chris, can you explain how to lay down a 3-4 note chord? And I look forward to your PM!
Sorry if I was vague, I meant like a normal #C #E #G or something and make the chord progression follow the notes you played your bass so you don't have only the bass notes/arp sidechained but also a chord that plays along in the same key and follow the bass and sidechain track to the same track that you sidechain the bass from

If you want I can email or post a link to something this weekend that We made for a famius artist from the US. We used this "trick" on the two songs we sold to her and it is EDM/Pop-House/Dance.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I was vague, I meant like a normal #C #E #G or something and make the chord progression follow the notes you played your bass so you don't have only the bass notes/arp sidechained but also a chord that plays along in the same key and follow the bass and sidechain track to the same track that you sidechain the bass from

If you want I can email or post a link to something this weekend that We made for a famius artist from the US. We used this "trick" on the two songs we sold to her and it is EDM/Pop-House/Dance.
Yes, a link would be great! I mostly understand what you're saying, but I will know more about what you're explaining when I try it out.
www.youtube.com/firsty33
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Hi

Best of luck
Christopher

Thank you for your sharing your knowledge, it helped! Did you get a chance to PM back?
www.youtube.com/firsty33