Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Default Reverb 101

I record classical guitar using condenser mics and the levels on the raw track are about right. When I add reverb and then dither to 16 bit and import into iTunes, the result is too quiet.
WHy is "Input" on D-Verb 4dB down by default?
Can someone explain "diffusion" and why it is 87%?
I use about 50% effect and usually small hall or room. I'm trying to get a natural acooustic sound, and I'm not there yet (in addition to the track getting quiet).
Any advice on settings would be appreciated.

Mac OSX 10.4.6, MBox2, PTLE 7.1 cs 6
Old 05-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Reverb 101

Well, your level problem is coming from the fact that you're putting the reverb on the track itself instead of bussing to an Aux track which is generally considered the 'right' way to use reverb - that way your dry level stays the same volume and you're just adding reverb to it. When you put a reverb plug-in on the track itself, you're lowering the dry level via the 'mix' function thus decreasing your overall level.

Secondly, DVerb is not a good reverb in almost any situation, especially with acoustic instruments. It can be useful if you want a "lo-fi" sound, but in generaly it's very grainy and muddy (no matter what the diffusion is set to) and not very natural sounding. For classical guitar, you should really look into purchasing a better reverb plug-in, there are lots of options out there (you can read several user reviews/comparisons by searching this forum) - IMHO Dverb is probably the worst of the included Digirack plug-ins, the only time I use it is if I want to make something sound cruddy on purpose.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks. I'm still fairly new, so I still need further instruction. So I set up a new track (there is no "Aux track" type -- do I set up a master fader or a new audio with a copy of my dry track?) Then I set the out on my dry track to ??

Then I insert the effect on the aux track? Still confused.

What reverb plugin do you recommend?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 AM

In the 'new track' dialog box, you can select "Aux Track" instead of 'Audio' - you want to create a stereo Aux track.

Set the Aux track input to a stereo bus (bus 1-2 for example), insert your reverb plug-in on that track and make sure the volume is up. You'll want to set the mix on the reverb plug-in to 100% wet.

On your Guitar track(s) create a bus send/insert for that same "bus 1-2" and turn up the level on the send. When you play back that track, you should now see & hear level on your stereo aux reverb track in addition to the dry level of the original track.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:44 AM

Also, for effect, if it's something you want to create, enable your send's "Pre-Fader" so you can have the source (guitar in your case), move in and out/close up & far away, in the mix...

Have to agree...DVerb is not a great plug-in. I have outboard reverb units that I use and will be looking forward to the TL Space Reverb in the Music Production Toolkit...
Old 05-14-2006, 02:35 PM

You create tracks--auxs--master faders by hitting shift/command(apple key)/N...Then hold the command key down, and press the "arrows" to get stereo or mono & track-aux-master tracks.

You need to create a mono (record) track for your guitar, and select a stereo buss = 1&2 and hold option and click on the fader to put it at default, then create an stereo aux track, and set the input to Bus 1&2. At the insert on the aux track, select the Stereo reverb of choice, and raise the fader to your desired level.

I think your Level problem would be solved if you create a stereo master fader, and open the limiter of choice and attenuate to no more than 5. Turn it up until the loudest passage registers 5 on the limiter.

These things will give you a great level and sound. Did you bounce to .mp3? Make it at least 190, or if you bounce to a stereo audio file, itunes import will auto make it to 128 (less quality).

Go in to ProTools preferences Setup Menu/Preferences, and set the bounces to TWEEKHEAD for the very best bouncing quality.
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12