How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 07-22-2022, 02:37 PM

Default Avid S6 crash when unplugging usb iPhone or iPad

Can someone reproduce this crazy bug :

PTSession open and connected to S6.
iPad or iPhone gets unplugged from computer hosting protools.
S6 loses all faders, displays and transport. MasterModule still displays workstation as connected. WScontrol app still displays connection to S6. No physical button or fader on S6 responds. Fixed only by disconnecting/reconnecting Protools host in Settings/Workstations window of M40 Module.

Protools : 2022.5
WSControl : 2022.4.0.78
Eucon : 4.8.6.78
S6 M40 : 2022.4.0.78
MacPro 2019 / MacOS 10.15.7
ipad Air 2 : iOS 15.5
iPhone 13 pro : iOS 15.5

I see no connection between USB on the MacPro and Eucon functionality, but since we can reproduce this problem on 2 different workstations, with 2 different S6 M40, there just has to be some kind of conflict. Other USB device unplugging don't seem to create same problem (USB drives, keyboard, trackball, dongles, ilok etc.)
Old 07-22-2022, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Avid S6 crash when unplugging usb iPhone or iPad

When you plug in an iPhone or iPad, your networking adds the iPhone/iPad. Go to System Preferences > Networking and disable the iPhone/iPad from creating a network there (you might have to have them plugged in for that to appear.) Also, click the gear at the bottom of networking and put your S6 network port at the top of the service order.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, they were totally relevant with this case. Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem

Catalina doesn't seem to offer USB networking for iDevices, as they don't appear in the SystemPreferences/Network, even if they are plugged in and computer considered as "Trusted" by the iDevice.

As for the order, we have Ethernet 1 who carries internet and LAN connections, while Ethernet 2 carries the S6 network alone. So they have to stay in that order for internet to work. The rest of networking options are "Off", including Wifi.

We might have to upgrade to Big Sur and maybe iDevice handling will be better handled. In the meantime i've sent a case to Avid with log files.

Edit : I did try placing Ethernet 2 in first position for troubleshooting purposes, and same problematic behaviour occured.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:17 PM
Avid

I can nearly say for certain this is because OSX is changing something in the networking which disrupts the EUCON network.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopod View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, they were totally relevant with this case. Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem

Catalina doesn't seem to offer USB networking for iDevices, as they don't appear in the SystemPreferences/Network, even if they are plugged in and computer considered as "Trusted" by the iDevice.
Works fine with Catalina here - 10.15.7. Have you tried hitting the + button at the bottom of the list to see if there is a USB option waiting for you to add?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 11.31.12 am.png (15.0 KB, 0 views)
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:35 AM
Avid

I took a look at this here as well (on 10.15.7 + 22.6 + 22.4). The behavior is identical to when I enable Wifi for the scenario when adding an Avid Control client (not wired) to aggregate with S6. When the network rejiggers, the desk goes dark and then restores the tracks which were previously there within a few seconds.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-28-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
I took a look at this here as well (on 10.15.7 + 22.6 + 22.4). The behavior is identical to when I enable Wifi for the scenario when adding an Avid Control client (not wired) to aggregate with S6. When the network rejiggers, the desk goes dark and then restores the tracks which were previously there within a few seconds.

best,

Jeff
On our side, the track restore sometimes happens by itself, but most of the time we need to uninstantiate / reinstantiate the host on the M40 for it to repopulate the desk. What is troubling also is that the same behaviour happens randomly during the day, even with no iDevice unplugging involved. During a 10h shift it can happen 3-4 times and we're a little at loss to pinpoint the problem. I've logged a case in avid support center, as we are under a support plan, but I'm afraid this has more to do with MacOS's network handling conflicting with S6 protocols. I remain hopeful they can find a fix or workaround.