Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-19-2022, 09:47 AM

Default Thunderbolt 3 rackmount vs desktop + HDX fan noise

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has experience with both of these. I have the desktop version and it too loud to keep in the controlroom. Is the rackmount version any quieter? The chassis fan is noisy but not as noisy as the HDX fan which is like a little turbo prop at takeoff. So far I've been using it with my old tower in a machine room but I do a lot of remote recording with my laptop and can't always be in another room. I've been looking for silent fans but have not had any luck, but did see a post encouraging the use of a large fan graphics card cooler but not sure if thats gonna cut it for the HDX with out it throwing errors if it does not see the stock fan spinning.
Thanks for any help/suggestions/comments.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Thunderbolt 3 rackmount vs desktop + HDX fan noise

Only the outer metal shell differs between the desktop and rack versions. You can slide the tray containing the PSU, HDX card and electronics straight out of one, and slide it into the other. In general, I have found those Avid enclosures to be louder than the larger Sonnet ones. The bigger Sonnet stuff is easier to install silent 80mm fans in.

Burying the HDX card in the bottom of a rack can help limit the noise. Inside a computer is even better. The HDX fan gets noisier over time. You can usually see the year of manufacture in one of the Digitest tabs. If it is older and well used, replacing the fan will help. Most Avid authorised repairers have the parts and occasionally you can buy them on eBay.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:06 AM

I'm having the same issue. Have you found a resolution?? Is this normal? I can't believe Avid could call this a "desktop" device.

Is this normal?? Avid support doesn't seem to find any issues.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:21 AM

Any thoughts??