Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-14-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Save me from Phasing insanity!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to print off drum compression etc which is live on Aux inserts ... I can't seem to get a print of it into a audio track without phasing issues.

If I buss all drums to a bus ... say aux 1-2.... then insert hardware on that aux. then send that processed channel out another aux .. say 3-4 for printing into a audio track with input aux 3-4 I can't seem to get the resultant audio track to play back alongside the original without phasing... am I doing something wrong? for some reason it seems this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.. I'm on a HDX system.. tried doing it with blue mode and no other plugins on the AUX but that doesn't seem to fix it... I swear I've been doing it like this for years and never noticed a problem..

can someone chime in with info about any known issue or if my method is bad!

2020.11 ,, avid hdx. .. burl converters (in avid mode delay mating a hd I/O)

cheers
Old 12-14-2020, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Save me from Phasing insanity!

Is Low Latency Monitoring Mode turned off? Are you putting the destination record track into "Blue Mode"? Might not be the problem, but worth checking.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Look for converters delay compensation. If not mistaken the only converters that pro tools compensates automatically is Avids interfaces.

Here is how to do it, but use samples counter in place of seconds and than tr https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Insert-Delay ansform samples to ms to insert in the I/O set up menu:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Insert-Delay
Old 12-14-2020, 12:37 PM

no LLM... I'm on HDX.. using blue mode...

I just deleted all my pro tools files and reinstalled 12.8.3 (was on 2020.11) and tried recording a section.... the weirdest thing just happened... I recorded 15 seconds of drums on this print track... and when live monitoring it sounds perfect... then I recorded and it sounded perfect for 3 seconds with the audio track playing back and all of a sudden it starts phasing against the audio track... as if it printed it with proper delay comp for a few seconds and then started printing bad delay compensation.... pretty freaking weird.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:54 PM

Wow. That is weird. Might be best to start a support case? Not sure about a workaround in the meantime. If it was consistent, then you could print a ping at the top of the track and align manually. I don't know what to say if it's a moving target.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:15 PM

yeah its pretty full on. and ANNOYING !! i think what i'm doing is the right workflow from you guys feeding back to me. so i tried something else and removed an audio interface and it is working properly now. I have an apogee symphony mk1 on port 1 and burl mothership on port 2. They lock together and they both do AVID I/O delay matching but for some reason if they are both connected and online then delay comp goes werid even though i'm only using burl channel inserts for the send / return and print... monitoring in live mode is tight and there is no issue it is just as soon as i playback a printed track it is phased.. doesnt happen if i remove one interface and print the same thing. Moral of the story, dont mix and match interfaces if you want a headache free system. Well burl and apogee mk1 anyway. thanks for the thoughts guys. cheers
Old 12-14-2020, 03:39 PM

I'm glad you found a work-around, albeit not a very convenient one.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:08 AM

👍😁