Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Let\'s ask Digidesign to make Command|8 work with other DAWs

I am a happy owner of a Command|8, but I would be even happier if the unit worked with other DAWs. I know this issue has been discussed before, but I think if we all filled out the feature request form and asked Digidesign politely, I have hopes that they might respond to us. The page with the request form says that

Quote:
We normally do not send personal replies to feature requests. We do, however, read each and every message. We use the information to improve our products and services. Your comments, suggestions, and ideas for improvements are very important to us.
If you want to fill out the form, but don't want to think of something to say I have a suggestion for you to copy and paste:

"Dear Digidesign,

I am very happy with my Command|8. However, Pro Tools is not the only DAW I use, and my workflow would greatly benefit if the Command|8 worked with other DAWs as well. I know several Pro Tools users are in the same situation as me. I believe if the Command|8 worked with other DAWs, it would only benefit your organization, as more people would be able to use this excellent control surface.

Best regards,
-your name here-"

Let's make it happen! I believe Digidesign will listen if enough users make the request!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Let\'s ask Digidesign to make Command|8 work with other DAWs

Yes! I did spend a few days making Command 8 Function with other Daws but I believe Hui Suport would
be the most elegant way.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM

HUi support won't happen anytime soon.
Remember Digi and Mackie designed the HUi together and the partnership later fell apart.
Digi is now like everyone else they have to pay to use the the Hui protocol so there's very little chance of that happening.
Also there are still far too many things they need to incorporate into the C8 to make it work better with PT before they should extend it's third party performance.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 AM

I see your point, but wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper!) to develop support for the HUI protocol (which they probably can do fairly easy; as you said they cooperated before) than redesigning the C|8? The support would be implemented in software - I'm fairly confident that's easier to do than redesigning hardware. In one fell swoop, they would make many C|8 users a lot more happy, and possibly increase sales as well!

I agree there are some limitations on the C|8, but still I think it is a wonderful control surface. Their audio interfaces work with other DAWs, why not the control surface as well?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 AM

Well you have to remember that the HUi was designed by Digi and Mackie so they have a good understanding of the Hui protocol but to use it you have to pay Mackie.
It's just not really feasible for Digi to want to pay.
We may see Digi eventually include maps for controlling some of the more generalized features straight out the box as is evident with the 003, but they won't pay the licensing fee for the HUi (or Mackie Control) since their overall goal is for you to use PT.
You may remember that Steinberg tried to built the Houston which was their own controller for Cubase and Nuendo and it failed dramatically.
So most DAW's realise that the overall cost of developing and controller exceeds paying Mackie for a Hui or MC license.
Digi however is firmly planted in the controller market with no plans of looking back so they can easily vary their feature set on their controllers to accommodate various market levels.
I think we would see Digi license a controller profile to other companies before adding the HUi protocol to their current lineup, since that would generate revenus not cost.
I guess time will tell.
As far as the audio working with other DAW's is basic and generic so them allowing you to program your own templates for other applications is pretty much the same level of cooperation.
No doubt the C8 is a nice controller (once you remove the bottle caps) but there are some features they added to the 003 Console that could easily be added to the C8 no effort because the buttons are already on the C8 that carryout the function.
Doing this would really help the unit be more functional.
I doubt we'll ever see an expander so we can only hope for additional features.