Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-13-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Defragging external hard drive?

Is it necessary on OSX, and if so what is the correct way(or software) to defrag my external audio hard drive? I am about to back up my system and I heard that it is necessary to defrag the drive and also that I should not let my hard drive fill up over 80%. I have no prior knowledge of this and I would like a second opinion.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Defragging external hard drive?

If this is an Audio drive, do not defragment.
If it is a firewire drive, just re-format using the "erace disk" option.
If it is scsi, FWB software is cool, or the disk setup under your Utilities folder.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:15 PM

I just used the Disk Utility app. to verify and repair disc and all seemed fine. So was the info I received wrong?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:16 PM

I just used the Disk Utility app. to verify and repair disc and all seemed fine. So was the info I received wrong?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:23 PM

no thats fine. After heavy usage, and when I get a chance, I will do a low level format of the drive (scsi) just to keep it sweet.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:20 PM

This is a good topic. Is anyone still using 'Norton Speed Disk' to defrag internal ATA audio drives under OSX? If so what setting are you using? i.e. Multimedia, General, CD-ROM Mastering, OSX, Speed Disk 3.2...

I have tried the Multimedia, CD-ROM Mastering & Speed Disk 3.2 setting but haven't been completely satisfied with any of these options. I have a 120G internal ATA 8MB 7200rpm dedicated audio drive.

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 PM

I would love to hear more input on this topic. But here's my deal.

For me the best way to defrag an audio drive has been to get a second drive and copy the session files directly to it. They load directly to the second disk intact, thereby defragging the files. Then, if need be because of your configuration and hardware limits, copy the sessions back to the original audio drive in a new folder with special permissions, relaunch the sessions and make sure everything is shipshape and make sure the audio files you're accessing are from the copied folder and not the original file; then trash the original session files if they have not been running/reading correctly.

IMO, do not under any circumstances run any Norton product on a Mac/HFS+ audio drive. Also, turn off journaling in disk utility on any ProTools audio drive. Disk Warrior will only fix directories. If you want more stability from your sessions you might want to consider consolidating your tracks/playlists into single file audio from the beginning of the session. It makes the drives not work so hard to find the data.

J Fred
in Nashville
Old 02-14-2005, 11:48 PM

The other day I switched back to OS 9.2 and defragged my audiodrive with Norton 6.0. No problems.Anyone kwows if I´m completely unorthodox.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:11 AM

Quote:
If it is scsi, FWB software is cool, or the disk setup under your Utilities folder.
For crying out loud!

Per Digi's own OSX recommendations, which can be found at the top of this very forum section, use Apple's own Disk Utility.

"-Make sure all drives are formatted Mac OS Extended (HFS+) with OS X’s Disk Utility. Pro Tools can not use UFS or HFS volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with any other application, backup the drive and reinitialize it with Disk Utility. If Journaling is enabled on your hard drive, disable it."

Go read the rest - it can't hurt.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 02-15-2005, 05:06 AM

Quote:
This is a good topic. Is anyone still using 'Norton Speed Disk' to defrag internal ATA audio drives under OSX? If so what setting are you using? i.e. Multimedia, General, CD-ROM Mastering, OSX, Speed Disk 3.2...
stay away from NORTON!!!!! and speed tools, you could as well though your money AND your HD out of the window.

the only and safest way to properly defrag a HD is is copy your files to a safe place, erase the HD with DiskUtility (no need for low level!!!) and copy your files Back.

Defrag only when significant performance loss is evident, you don´t need to do that on a regular bases.

If third party tools for maintenance are required use Alsofts Diskworrier, Micromats TechTool and Bombich CCC (get it from versiontracker).

for further Info take a look e.g. here

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/feat...ters/index.php

Andre:

Quote:
Quote:
For crying out loud!

Per Digi's own OSX recommendations, which can be found at the top of this very forum section, use Apple's own Disk Utility.

"-Make sure all drives are formatted Mac OS Extended (HFS+) with OS X’s Disk Utility. Pro Tools can not use UFS or HFS volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with any other application, backup the drive and reinitialize it with Disk Utility. If Journaling is enabled on your hard drive, disable it."

Go read the rest - it can't hurt.
granted that you should use DiskUtility, but as you might know there is, most of the times, no other way to format a SCSI disk (in which conjunction FWB is clearly referred to) than using FWB.

Apple is quite discriminating with SCSI Users here.

Once it´s formatted you can reformat with Apple´s software

regs