Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2021, 04:48 AM

Default SoundFlow

I’m a Pro Tools user with SoundFlow on trial.
It seems to be a great product, but I already use Keyboard Maestro and S3, Dock and Avid Control for most of my needs.

SoundFlow scripts has solved a few things that I haven’t been able to do with shortcuts on my current setup, though:
• Open the Patch Select Window
• Open the Track name window to rename the selected track
• Show/hide automation lanes (Example below)
Code:
sf.ui.proTools.selectedTrack.children.whoseTitle.is('Show/hide automation lanes').first.elementClick();
I’m not sure I want to buy into another subscription just to be able to skip the mouse clicking for those minor things.
Is there some other way to run these types of scripts on macOS?

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 01-15-2022, 02:25 PM

Default Re: SoundFlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I’m not sure I want to buy into another subscription just to be able to skip the mouse clicking for those minor things.
Is there some other way to run these types of scripts on macOS?

AppleScript, see the Tips & Tricks section.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:23 PM

Can you make AppleScript execute the ”Show/hide automation lanes” script in my first post?
Soundflow scripting language seems to use javascript with extensions, far beyond my knowledge.

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 01-16-2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Can you make AppleScript execute the ”Show/hide automation lanes” script in my first post?
Soundflow scripting language seems to use javascript with extensions, far beyond my knowledge.
It’s here…

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414495
Old 01-16-2022, 02:48 AM

That works great, thanks!

Since my initial question, I’ve started a SoundFlow subscription, using it with the Stream Deck integration, but I wonder if it would be possible to achieve the same things without SF, using only Stream Deck and some scripting know-how.

Anyway, at the moment, SF is very convenient for me.
For example, I like that I can trigger/open a certain Deck by the name of a PT Track when opening a midi editor for that track, and that it’s easy to set up.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:53 AM

It’s possible to incorporate StreamDeck with Pro Tools w/o Soundflow but it will not be as good and it will take a lot of time to program either hotkey buttons or Applescripts with a combination of Keyboard Maestro or similar.

Soundflow is definitely the simpler way.

That being said, I have made just a few simple macros and hotkey buttons on my Streamdeck without using Soundflow.

I just didn’t want to have to add yet another monthly subscription.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:04 AM

Thanks!
I understand - I don’t like the subscription-trend, either.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
That works great, thanks!

Since my initial question, I’ve started a SoundFlow subscription, using it with the Stream Deck integration, but I wonder if it would be possible to achieve the same things without SF, using only Stream Deck and some scripting know-how.
SoundFlow is an application that makes Pro Tools automation of things easier. I know, I was amongst the first ones to write JavaScripts for the app.
As a matter of fact I have rewritten all my AppleScripts that I shared on the DUC to work with JavaScript within SoundFlow, so that you know.

It is always 😂 to read posts by users who do not wanna pay a dime for professional automation solutions but then again use free solutions and still blame for lack of... whatever they have to complain about. This makes me sick.

I have shared so many AppleScripts and if anyone who used them would have paid me only 1˘ I would be a rich man by now.

If something you use, a software or a tool, does not work then look for something else. If your only goal is to get something for free then think about why the work you do is not for free.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
SoundFlow is an application that makes Pro Tools automation of things easier. I know, I was amongst the first ones to write JavaScripts for the app.
As a matter of fact I have rewritten all my AppleScripts that I shared on the DUC to work with JavaScript within SoundFlow, so that you know.

It is always 😂 to read posts by users who do not wanna pay a dime for professional automation solutions but then again use free solutions and still blame for lack of... whatever they have to complain about. This makes me sick.

I have shared so many AppleScripts and if anyone who used them would have paid me only 1˘ I would be a rich man by now.

If something you use, a software or a tool, does not work then look for something else. If your only goal is to get something for free then think about why the work you do is not for free.

I'm happy to pay for software that I use and I'm 100% appreciative of your time, help and scripts you've provided over the year. It's the subscription model that I don't like.
Let me pay a one time fee and subsequent upgrade fees if I choose to. I also probably don't need 90% of what Soundflow has to offer.

That being said. I'm happy to pay you $1 for your scripts. Our time is worth $$$ although I give a lot of my time away to help others. In the end it benefits everyone. I like the challenge of building my own scripts. For me it's fun and sometimes I need the help of the community when I get stuck. Nature of the business.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post

I’m happy to pay for all kinds of soft- and hardware, and do pay a lot of money continuously. I just don’t like the subscription model that’s becoming more and more common. Also, I do pay for SF, although I only really need one or two scripts. One of those is your Show/Hide Automation Lanes script that actually works a bit better as AppleScript for me. Anyway, I like the SoundFlow developer and the community, very helpful, so I’m going to keep supporting it. Would buy it if there was an option. By the way - Do you have a Patreon account or something like that?