Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-25-2020, 01:15 PM

Default What is frame edge sync?

I am asking this question because the new Carbon interface apparently doesn't have it. I don't know what it is to know if I should care.

Note that I have had the HD Omni and HD Native Thunderbolt for several years, I don't know if the Omni has it either (or if the thunderbolt unit has it). Just trying to figure out if what I would need it for. Or if I've had it and didn't realize it, etc.

I do some sound for video stuff as a hobby, nothing professional. When I've done surround stuff, I don't use the HD Native/Omni setup, but instead go HDMI into my Pioneer receiver and home theater setup.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Re: What is frame edge sync?

It's just a way of describing the way a DAW syncs playback to a video reference signal. When locked it will always play in sync with the incoming video frames as opposed to freewheeling.

In practice it means without it you can get sync slop because every play could be offset within a frame's length. Whether that is an issue depends on your usage. Sounds like you shouldn't need to worry about it.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:12 PM

wait, there are actually people doing this as a _hobby_?

Baffled..
Old 01-05-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
wait, there are actually people doing this as a _hobby_?

Baffled..
I'm heavily into video and love filmmaking, so the interest in surround follows that. I got the HD/Ultimate setup years ago for music purposes, then started experimenting. The only things I've done with surround so far is a couple of video productions of special Christmas services that I did for my church. I made some DVD's and Blu-rays to give to the people involved in it. Basically the equivalent of a concert video. I'm hoping at some point to do other types of live events such as plays/musicals, concerts, etc., and be able to have the option of surround for the clients. However, physical media is becoming less of a thing, and streaming services that are utilized for these types of things don't yet support surround.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I am asking this question because the new Carbon interface apparently doesn't have it. I don't know what it is to know if I should care.

Note that I have had the HD Omni and HD Native Thunderbolt for several years, I don't know if the Omni has it either (or if the thunderbolt unit has it). Just trying to figure out if what I would need it for. Or if I've had it and didn't realize it, etc.
You wouldn't have had it unless you were using a SYNC HD as (audio) clock master, locked to the same (video) reference as your video output device.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
You wouldn't have had it unless you were using a SYNC HD as (audio) clock master, locked to the same (video) reference as your video output device.
Thank you for that information.

Is this something that would be required for ADR, especially if using a separate program like Videoslave?