Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 PM

Default Best Mac Pro Configuration

Hey all....I'm trying to make the best buying decision for upgrading from PT v8 running on my G5 to PT v9 running on a new Mac Pro.

What would be the "best value" Mac Pro configuration/model that will run PT9 effectively in my project studio? Any suggestions for the best configuration would be great. Not interested in a Mac Mini or Hackintosh. Just looking for the best Mac Pro for the least.

Thx
Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Best Mac Pro Configuration

Nehalem 8 core 2.26 GHZ is probably your best bang for the buck tight now. I lucked out and found a Westmere on Craigslist and let's just say "I stole it" I wont even say how much I paid, but deals like this are one in a million I actually was searching for a Nehalem and happened across this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Melander View Post
Hey all....I'm trying to make the best buying decision for upgrading from PT v8 running on my G5 to PT v9 running on a new Mac Pro.

What would be the "best value" Mac Pro configuration/model that will run PT9 effectively in my project studio? Any suggestions for the best configuration would be great. Not interested in a Mac Mini or Hackintosh. Just looking for the best Mac Pro for the least.

Thx
Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Buy from a good dealer that has a good customer support.
I will buy from Sweetwater. They have lifetime customer support.
I will buy the $100 one on one from apple and extended warranty. as you go along you will want to get advice of upgrades or adding graphics card etc. they were very helpful.
I will buy the fastest processor that is on AVID approved list.
Add HD as I go or just now 2 TB HD 7200 RPM and more costs around $100 will add HD as I go with at least one external to back up. I saw the pro using a dedicated HD for samples.
You need to have at least 6 GB of RAM make sure it is in increments that easily expand, this is important for recording audio.
I lost 2 years of being turned off to DAW because I used a ‘cheap PC” DO NOT USE PC too many problems. Look at it as an investment. This is NTO a place to cut corners as it will affect most aspects of making music.
Enjoy it.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I will buy from Sweetwater. They have lifetime customer support.
Sweetwater is the last place I'd buy a Mac from. Or anything really, unless you really enjoy overpaying for everything, and also don't mind getting assaulted with unsolicited phone calls when your salesman has a slow month.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Any of the Mac Pros will make a great project studio with Pro Tools. Even the quad core will give power to put a lot of plugs and with a proper recording drive give you lots of tracks. It is more about your budget. Buy the most powerful computer you can buy, but you need to consider any other up grades you need. Monitors, ram, and harddrive can add greatly to the cost.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 PM

I would suggest not buying the extra hard drives from Apple when you get one. Buy some good Seagates or WD Cavair Blacks from Newegg.com and save the extra money for some plugs.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM

If you rarely upgrade your equipment I would suggest that you wait for the 2011 models.

Then you will get sata-600 and the new Thunderbolt interface.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
I would suggest not buying the extra hard drives from Apple when you get one. Buy some good Seagates or WD Cavair Blacks from Newegg.com and save the extra money for some plugs.
Exactly. I bought the most basic 8 core 2.4 GHz configuration with one 1 TB system drive, 6 GB of RAM and no extras. That's IMO the best value. Then I added two 1 TB WD RE4s as audio and video/sfx drives and am very happy with it. I rarely use VIs, so since PT is a 32bit app, 6 GB of RAM is completely sufficient for me.

Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookprousr View Post
If you rarely upgrade your equipment I would suggest that you wait for the 2011 models.

Then you will get sata-600 and the new Thunderbolt interface.
It would be a mistake to ignore this excellent advice.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Lots of great advice. I'd break it down into two options. I'd either look at the first gen to use nehalem procs and get a quad core or wait and get a 2011. Either way is gonna be a lot more power than your g5. You will save money with the older model obviously, but as far as I know there will never be a way to add thunderbolt to an older model. Something to consider.

Also as mentioned add your ram and hd's yourself which ever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk