Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-13-2021, 11:22 AM

Default New Mac help

Hi Guy's i want to get myself a mac to start mixing at home to save some cost from renting out big studios I have to options i would like to know with one you recommend

1 - New 2018 Mac Mini m1 16 gig ram

2- Imac 287 inch late 2012 running Catalina
10.15.4, 3.4 Ghz Quad core Intel I7
24 gig ram ( i will max the ram out )
1td HDD SSD
Gpu: Nvidia Gforce GTX 680mx 2gb

I will mostly be doing Rock music mixig

Thank for you Help
Old 05-13-2021, 11:23 AM

Default Re: New Mac help

Hi, welcome to the community.

M1 models are not yet supported.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:42 AM

Would this imac do
Imac 287 inch late 2012 running Catalina
10.15.4, 3.4 Ghz Quad core Intel I7
24 gig ram ( i will max the ram out )
1td HDD SSD
Gpu: Nvidia Gforce GTX 680mx 2gb
Old 05-13-2021, 11:46 AM

Maybe yes or no. Basically everything is compatible, but it is so old and underpowered (for catalina) your experience may not be what you expect. With that said, if you swap the HDD to SSD your experience may be a lot better.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:52 AM

M1 not yet supported, but many reports that PT runs fine. And I can confirm. I had a mini M1 for about ten days recently, and it's a fantastic machine. PT 2021 runs great, even thru Rosetta2, and most plugins. Great value for money, go for it!

I returned mine, and went back to the one in my signature. Too many little things not working, but that's because of Big Sur, but most importantly the ram limitation of M1. I had 8 but 16 will handle most loads, I think. I'm waiting for the next generation of prcessors and models.

I would at least forget about the 2012 model.

But if you're serious about mixing there are many more important things than a good mac. Listening environment, speakers, controller, plugins...
I guess you got that covered.

Another thing about M1 macs; they never heat up! It's almost unbelievable. Coool.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazeflip View Post
1 - New 2018 Mac Mini m1 16 gig ram

2- Imac 287 inch late 2012 running Catalina
My opinion is that your two choices are too far from the sweet spot.

1 - The Mac Mini M1 (I assume you meant 2020 instead of 2018 since that is when the M1 model was introduced) is too advanced with its M1 processor that is not yet certified for Protools (although some have it working for the most part). Now, if you meant the Mac keini Intel 2018, then that would be a very suitable solution for you.

2 - The iMac model you listed (I assume you meant 27 inch instead of 287 inch) is too old to run the current OS and will have a limited future. As others have mentioned, you might need to upgrade some components like the HD to an SSD, etc. It also doesn't have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports if I'm not mistaken, so that may limit your interface options.

Therefore you might look for a 2017-2020 model Mac (iMac, MacBook Pro, or Mac mini) with enough RAM. These will support current OS versions and the latest Protools version and give you several years of serviceable performance and compatibility. You should set a budget, but a good working system is more important.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 05-14-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
My opinion is that your two choices are too far from the sweet spot.

1 - The Mac Mini M1 (I assume you meant 2020 instead of 2018 since that is when the M1 model was introduced) is too advanced with its M1 processor that is not yet certified for Protools (although some have it working for the most part). Now, if you meant the Mac keini Intel 2018, then that would be a very suitable solution for you.

2 - The iMac model you listed (I assume you meant 27 inch instead of 287 inch) is too old to run the current OS and will have a limited future. As others have mentioned, you might need to upgrade some components like the HD to an SSD, etc. It also doesn't have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports if I'm not mistaken, so that may limit your interface options.

Therefore you might look for a 2017-2020 model Mac (iMac, MacBook Pro, or Mac mini) with enough RAM. These will support current OS versions and the latest Protools version and give you several years of serviceable performance and compatibility. You should set a budget, but a good working system is more important.

After debate this is the Mac i'm going to buy... What do you guy's think

Apple Mac mini: Late 2018
64GB Memory | 512GB Solid-State Drive
3.2GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
Current Model
Used, Excellent condition
System Configuration:
Memory:
64GB PC21300 2666 MHz DDR4
Storage:
512GB Solid-State Drive
Networking:
Built-in 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
Built-in Bluetooth 5.0
4 x Thunderbolt 3 Ports
Video:
Intel UHD Graphics 630 with 1.5GB VRAM

I should be good for a couple of years with this machine and be able to run big Complex Rock Mixes
Old 05-14-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazeflip View Post
After debate this is the Mac i'm going to buy... What do you guy's think

Apple Mac mini: Late 2018
64GB Memory | 512GB Solid-State Drive
3.2GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor

I should be good for a couple of years with this machine and be able to run big Complex Rock Mixes
Excellent choice. You didn't specify what OS you will be running but this machine should work well with Catalina or Big Sur (or the next OS when that comes out).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 05-14-2021, 11:56 AM

I agree, very capable machine.

I don't want to be negative or anything, but I'd feel I'd be wrong if I didn' mention this:
The Mac Mini 2018, 2020 and 2021 M1 all have a issue with bluetooth functionality/range.

It's all over the internet, and to my knowledge, Apple doesn't recognize it as an issue. Here's a 26 page long discussion about it on Macrumor as an example:
Mac mini 2018 Bluetooth issues?

I've been thru four different mini models the last year, 2018 to 2021 M1 and they all have this problem with bluetooth. I goes like this:

You set up your mini on your desktop, connect the screen and set up the mac to recognize your Apple wireless keyboard and mouse. All is well.

You start to connect thunderbolt and usb units. As you do, you start to get more and more erratic behaviour from your mouse and keyboard might act strange, drop key strokes. If you take your bluetooth devices around the room, the loss of functionality is obvious, they fall in and out of connection.

Start unplugging TB/USB stuff and the problem gradually diminishes. Especially the two usb. You'll also notice you can make it better by standing it up on its side with the bottom plate facing out, and that the slightest little physical obstacle makes it worse.

Now, I have three sets of apple magic keyboard/mouse spread around the room, so it is possible to make it work. And I'm using two of the TB ports and one of the usb, and of course hubs. But if bluetooth functionality is important to you, you are hereby forewarned.

There are of course some simple fixes, including using wired devices, and getting non apple devices that have their own little bluetooth dongles. They work great.

Another little thing: the i7 version can get a pretty loud fan noise when you push it a bit, you really can't have that on your desktop while mixing! Never a problem with i3 and i5 versions. Not to mention the M1. It stays so cool, it's like magic. My simple fix; I set the fan speed manually with the free Macs Fan Control.