Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Trigger VS Drumagog

I'm nearing the end of my research and now I just can't decide between Trigger or Drumagog. Anyone want to try to sway me one way or another? What are the comparative strengths and weaknesses between the two?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Trigger VS Drumagog

Personally, I think both are excellent and either will do the job fine, with the requisite learning period(and reasonable expectations). Maybe your choice could be helped by viewing some tutorial videos, so check out the 2 manufacturer websites as well as youtube.com. When you see them in action, you may spot things that you really hate(or really like) about each/both. Drumagog 5 can use some drum VI plugins directly(like SD2) while Slate(IIRC) uses its own samples from the Slate library. I've not use the Slate product, but Drumagog(4, the version I use) allows me to use any wave file as a sample, so I created several folders of "one-shot" samples from my SD2 libraries and a handful of samples from my Roland TD10 module and the Motif es8. You could also track a kit with mics, and have the drummer hit some single tom hits(advance past the end of the song). Use those to create a batch of samples that you can use to replace the toms(with all that leakage) with the same toms, but clean(no leakage). You can also blend between the sample and the original, so you can actually decide exactly how much bleed you want(all, none or some). Can Slate do this too? Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM

lol - thanks albee.... still a hard choice though. I've been all into the videos and I'm just torn between them!! arggg!!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Let me throw some gas on the fire then. Massey DTM.......check it out

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM

LOL - gee thanks!! My wife calls this "option anxiety"

Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 AM

I have both...I prefer Trigger but honesty I haven't used an updated version of Drumagog in years though so...

I do also use Trigger with Massey's DTM though. That is a great way to rip midi from audio.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM

You can, in fact, use any sample you want in Trigger. It comes with a full on sample compiling utility that allows you to build multiple hit velocity zones for each of your own sample sets. Works great.

Also, Massey's DRT is great for getting super accurate transient points from a drum performance and then turning it into midi or audio clicks that don't have the problem of bleed from other drums. I prefer to print the audio clicks and use them to trigger Trigger. It's totally sample accurate. Midi is too sloppy for my taste.