How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Default Insane stuttering during Rec and PB

Folks,

Have any of you loaded PT10 on a WIN7 machine and have had trouble with stuttering during Rec and PB? We upgraded from 9 to 10 and it has been terrible in the above mentioned way. We're getting errors that mention CPU overload, removing plugins to compensate, etc.
We've got 12gb of quality ram, dual 4 core processing (8 cores i7), very good drives, etc.

We never had a single problem with 9, but 10 is really rough going. Any other similar experiences and possible solutions?

Thanks so much!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Insane stuttering during Rec and PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoe View Post
Folks,

Have any of you loaded PT10 on a WIN7 machine and have had trouble with stuttering during Rec and PB? We upgraded from 9 to 10 and it has been terrible in the above mentioned way. We're getting errors that mention CPU overload, removing plugins to compensate, etc.
We've got 12gb of quality ram, dual 4 core processing (8 cores i7), very good drives, etc.

We never had a single problem with 9, but 10 is really rough going. Any other similar experiences and possible solutions?

Thanks so much!
Hi,

Although its for 9 its worth going through common problems and setup etc...

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...ommunity3=1078

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 AM

Check your I/O setup. I had a similar issue ... it turned out that the upgrade to 10 modified my I/O settings, creating duplicate paths to my hardware. One I removed the duplicate paths, the skipping went away.

-Dan
Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 AM

hi joe. you didn't mention if you've tried trashing your DAE preferences which is something i'm finding i have to do regularly to keep PT10 running smoothly.
the process has changed a bit fro PT9 to PT10.

try deleting all of the following files and see if it helps:
Databases:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\Databases\Unicode\Volumes
DAE Preferences:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\DAE\DAE Prefs
Pro Tools Preferences:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools

regards,
marco
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Next step if you still have the issue, is to try different numbers of cores in the hardware setup page. You are running 8 cores now? Try at each number, all the way down to 2 cores and see what happens. Different systems seem to operate best with different numbers of cores assigned. It may also relate to different Virtual Instruments from 3rd party companies.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2011, 03:35 PM

What interface?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Gents, I apologize for not replying sooner. For the WIN7 system, we're just using a 002. All drivers, (Ilok, etc) have been updated.

I hadn't come back to this post until today, and opted to to use the Mac system for a bit. I did try reducing cores all the way down to "2" and then disabling HyperThreading to see if that would fix it. Here's the weird thing about that: it DID work, for about 20 minutes, then started skipping again. This is most noticeable with Superior Drummer running, and manifests itself by "skipping" or cutting out when playback stops.... and things like cymbals, or low toms are trying to ring out.... weird that the reduction in cores usage helped for a short while, then not. We're using a a very low RAM kit, (maybe about 400mb).

I'll try the other suggestions, one-by-one, and let you know what works.

Thank you again for all of your recommendations.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Insane stuttering during Rec and PB- SOLVED

This is long overdue, indeed.

To start, thank you for everyone's suggestions regarding how to fix this problem.

Problem:
Stuttering, DAE errors, "Running Low on CPU", "Increase Buffer Size" during Recording and Playback in PT10, WIN7.

On this machine, (Gigabyte X58 UD3R (BIOS REV. 7), Pro Tools would throw all kinds of strange audible errors such as stuttering, and the other above mentioned problems after upgrading from PT9. The problem would only (somewhat) be corrected when PB was set at 1024 Samples, 5 Cores, (8 core machine), and 85% core usage. To track, we had to use Low Latency Monitoring, and COULD NOT lower the sample rate to 128, 256 or any other number - etc without this terrible problem. We re-formatted, tried new drives, flashed bios, tried disabling hyperthreading, other bios tweaks and setting, updated all drivers, installed ONLY PT and ToonTrack S2.0, updated PACE and every other conceivable thing in order to be assured it was not a problem with the machine.

It wasn't in fact.

Discovery -

I noticed that the stuttering (e.g. cymbals stuttering, room reverb stuttering, etc ) would only happen when PB was stopped using the Space Bar, or "STOP" on the Transport. If we let the session run out - to the end of the song and beyond, there would be no stuttering (while audio rang out). So, for the moment we thought it was just a function of pressing the space bar in a session. This made us think of the input monitoring options, and low and behold, when using "Input Only" monitoring, the stuttering ceased. No more errors, no more stuttering, no problems with "Running out of CPU", "Increase Buffer Size" messages, etc.

That was the END of the problem. The only concern now is that when pre-rolling into a record part, the performer cannot hear the instruments up to the record point.

There is a fiddly work around, but it is not easy, and not recommended IMO.

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Are you using TL Space in any of the sessions? This is a known issue with that plug in which I doubt will ever be fixed. For me I can not use TL Space until I mix at a buffer of 1024.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM

So Im having pretty much the same problem. Ok now Im extremely new at this so forgive my lack of termanology. I have an HP 2009f windows vista (32 I think), and I just installed Pro tools 10 about a week and 1/2 ago. Im using a firewire solo audio interface. I read through the previous posts and Im checking to see if any of the offered solutions will help but so far Im still getting no where. Im not exactly sure how my i/o's are suppose to be setup. But from what I can see and hear, I can record and play audio but theres a constant stutter. Ive checked and rechecked the RAM which if im not mistaken I have about 850GB. Before I heard about Pro Tools I used FL Studio. So my knowledge about Pro Tools is pretty basic if not less. Id really appreciate any help. Im doing this by myself and Im trying as hard as I can to whatever I can.

Thank You