How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2022, 10:35 PM

Default Exported file is silent 2022.5

Hi everyone,
I was working some days ago on a project with a video track but when I tried to export audio as multiple mono I had only silent files. Do you experience this when exporting (no mater the type of export (interleaved, multiple mono etc)) on 2022.5?
Old 07-29-2022, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Exported file is silent 2022.5

Nope not noticed any problem with bounce or export, but we cannot guess what you are exactly talking about. If there were common problems with any of this you would likely hear lots of folks screaming about them on DUC.

What exactly are you doing? Exporting as a session? AAF/OMF? Or did you actually mean bounce the mix or bounce certain tracks?

These kind of errors are commonly caused by user mistakes, not selecting the tracks to export or not selecting the bounce source or not including audio files to copy in a session export. So to not waste time here you really should be explaining exactly what you're doing. Maybe even include a screenshot of the dialog panel for what you are doing.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:06 AM

That's good to hear that you don't have that issue. I'm talking about exporting audio files and not bouncing. I was recording a vocal on top of a video. The session had also a music track. I wanted to export the vocal raw to send for mixing. But when I exported it, the file was silent. I just bounced it since it was the only track that was needed with the insert effect bypassed and I moved on. But I was questioning why the export didn't work. I will check again when I will go back to the session later. I think I did the export right (I'm not a noob, I'm very careful) but maybe a user error? I doubt it but will check
Old 07-30-2022, 10:52 AM

Works fine here. Did you listen at several points? The vocal track I exported had plenty of blank areas, but the vocal was most definitely there where it belonged(and I did choose Multi-mono). Granted, I am on the latest(2022.7) but have exported many times without any issues.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-30-2022, 12:04 PM

Yes I checked on several sections where the vocal was supposed to play but it was only silence. I will check in 1h and let you know if I have again the issue but it's reassuring that you don't have this issue.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:26 PM

I recheck again and have the same result but the file is exported correctly:

after export i played the wav file on windows media player but for an unknown reason the file is dead silent.
i drag and drop that file in Pro tools and i see the waveform and it is playing fine . I use also another music player that can display the waveform and it is playing fine. So the culprit is wmp, strange that the export is silent in it although other files play without issues.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:00 PM

Aha, probably due to the file format. Maybe sample rate, bit depth, etc. What were your exact export settings?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-30-2022, 04:17 PM

The export is in wav 44.1k 24bits, but i bounced with the exact same settings and the bounce plays fine in windows media player. But now something more funny, i was playing some youtube videos then before writing my reply to you i play the file again in windows media player and it is playing fine now That's really weird!
Old 09-08-2022, 07:08 PM

Just had something similar happen yesterday. After exporting, both the wav file and related MP3 wouldn't play (silent) in Media Player after closing PT.
I believe it has something to do with PT taking over the sound card, because the files played fine on my phone. Same files. And also played fine on my computer after restarting it. I probably went overboard, as I didn't check to see what Windows Sound was using as the output.
Double check and make sure it didn't Mute your sound card or change something else in your sound settings, or maybe it just hadn't released the sound card yet.
You can also have it bring the file back into PT when you bounce, so you aren't changing the listening device settings.
Note: I'm sure you know this, but other sound programs, like Media Player, and your browser (YouTube) will not play sound while PT is open.
Hope it helps!
| Pro Tools Studio Perpetual & Active Sub
| TASCAM US-16x08
| TASCAM MH-8
| TASCAM US-1x2HR
-------
| '78 Fender Jazz Bass FRETLESS
| '97 Squier P-Bass
| '00 5-String Squier Precision Bass Standard
| '20 Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass HH
| '20 Ovation CE48 Celebrity Elite Super Shallow
| '21 Squier Stratocaster - Sienna Sunburst with Maple Fb
Old 09-09-2022, 10:02 AM

I thinks it's a bug with windows 10. I really really really hate windows 10, it is so ****ty...Avid you could make your software still compatible with windows 7, it is infinitely better and faster than 10. I had so much issues when i upgraded to 10 from a configuration that was rock solid and fast with 7. Now i export and don't check with media player since i know that i export the files right. isherwoodme, yes you can use Pro tools and other programs at the same time, the issue that you are talking was with older version of Pro tools (8 or 9). i have a dozen of things running at the same with Pro tools (youtube, players, daws, etc) using my soundcard without issue. You can just check with another player your exported files if you need to but not with media player.