How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2022, 03:38 PM

Default Pro Tools 2022.6 won't launch

Hello,

I recently got back into PT after a few years off, but I can't seem to get it to launch. It keeps crashing before it gets done loading plugins. After reading various forums, I started moving the plugins out of the main folder until it was empty. This did not work. I noticed that it then started getting stuck on a system plugin, so I moved that, too - still nothing. Now it just gets as far as "loading plugins" and then crashes. I've tried uninstalling and still nothing.

I'm running Windows 10 - i9 10920 - RTX 3090 (latest studio driver) - 64gb RAM.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.6 won't launch

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Leave System plugins alone. For now just focus on running Pro Tools, not trying to start a session/doubleclick on a session icon (in case you were doing that?).

Read "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. (and while there, make sure your PC is fully optimized).

Always start troubleshooting by trashing prefs. You can purchase the Trasher app to make that easier/make sure it's done correctly. https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm

First thought is does Pro Tools even see the interface?: Hold down the 'N' key after double clicking on the Pro Tools icon and keep held down until the playback engine dialog appears. There make sure that 18i8 ASIO driver/interface is selected as the playback engine. Look in the pulldown menu for any duplicate seeming names etc.

Your profile says Scarlett 18i8 -- have you got the latest drivers for that installed? If not install them now (likely not needed but you can be paranoid: interface disconnected, uninstall existing drivers, reboot, install new drivers, reboot, connect interface).

Make sure Windows (e.g. Sound Control Panel) and other apps are *not* using the 18i8. It should be dedicated to Pro Tools only.

Hopefully you do *not* have ASIO4ALL installed, if it is then uninstall it. It's not needed and can potentially cause problems.

That not it, revisit plugins, just move *every* .aaxplugin file out of the plugin folder. Trash prefs again. If that does not fix it leave plugins removed as is.

Create a new account with admin privileges, log in there and repeat above tests.

Failing that you are likely looking at a clean Windows install. If the above does not work I would go to a clean Windows install vs. waste time trying to debug stuff more.

If you need more help here post a Sisoft Sandra report.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-25-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=Darryl Ramm;2642809]
Always start troubleshooting by trashing prefs. You can purchase the Trasher app to make that easier/make sure it's done correctly. https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm

Darryl - I am cautious about using Trasher as on that website it states that "the newest Trasher 3 will support every version of Pro Tools since 10.3.5 to the current 2018 release on Windows." Do you know if Trasher is fully functional for current versions of Pro Tools? Is the only issue that the wording of that website has not been updated?

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA2011, i7 5930 3.5 GHZ 6 core 12 threads, Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, LG 16x Blu-ray writer, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for OS, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD for samples, four WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s 7,200 RPM drives (audio, samples, video x 2), EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU, Corsair Cooling Hydro H100I V2, W 10 Pro, 4 TB WD USB3 external backup, PT 2020.5, IK Sampletank 4 Max, AIR IEP, Wavelab Pro 10, RME Fireface UFX w USB2 connection.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=drh1;2642899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Darryl - I am cautious about using Trasher as on that website it states that "the newest Trasher 3 will support every version of Pro Tools since 10.3.5 to the current 2018 release on Windows." Do you know if Trasher is fully functional for current versions of Pro Tools? Is the only issue that the wording of that website has not been updated?
I can't think of any new changes that need changes in Trasher can you?

The Trasher developer guitadom is on DUC, you can always ask him questions.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:55 AM

[QUOTE=Darryl Ramm;2642900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1 View Post

I can't think of any new changes that need changes in Trasher can you?

The Trasher developer guitadom is on DUC, you can always ask him questions.
Thanks Darryl, you've been very helpful to many people over the years. Yes, it would have been more appropriate for me to message Guitardom directly.

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA2011, i7 5930 3.5 GHZ 6 core 12 threads, Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, LG 16x Blu-ray writer, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for OS, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD for samples, four WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s 7,200 RPM drives (audio, samples, video x 2), EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU, Corsair Cooling Hydro H100I V2, W 10 Pro, 4 TB WD USB3 external backup, PT 2020.5, IK Sampletank 4 Max, AIR IEP, Wavelab Pro 10, RME Fireface UFX w USB2 connection.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi Welcome to DUC.

Leave System plugins alone. For now just focus on running Pro Tools, not trying to start a session/doubleclick on a session icon (in case you were doing that?).

Read "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. (and while there, make sure your PC is fully optimized).

First thought is does Pro Tools even see the interface?: Hold down the 'N' key after double clicking on the Pro Tools icon and keep held down until the playback engine dialog appears. There make sure that 18i8 ASIO driver/interface is selected as the playback engine. Look in the pulldown menu for any duplicate seeming names etc.

Your profile says Scarlett 18i8 -- have you got the latest drivers for that installed? If not install them now (likely not needed but you can be paranoid: interface disconnected, uninstall existing drivers, reboot, install new drivers, reboot, connect interface).

Make sure Windows (e.g. Sound Control Panel) and other apps are *not* using the 18i8. It should be dedicated to Pro Tools only.

Hopefully you do *not* have ASIO4ALL installed, if it is then uninstall it. It's not needed and can potentially cause problems.

That not it, revisit plugins, just move *every* .aaxplugin file out of the plugin folder. Trash prefs again. If that does not fix it leave plugins removed as is.

Create a new account with admin privileges, log in there and repeat above tests.

Failing that you are likely looking at a clean Windows install. If the above does not work I would go to a clean Windows install vs. waste time trying to debug stuff more.

If you need more help here post a Sisoft Sandra report.
^^^Yes^^^!!! !!!

take all Windows updates
run Windows Security full scan
ALL of the AVID recommended system optimizations - and also -
ALL of the AVID recommended troubleshooting steps (don't skip any - at least until the until problem is isolated & fixed)
interface drivers/new cord/different port
uninstall Pro Tools/CCleaner reg clean/CCleaner normal clean/install Pro Tools
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume