Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 05:56 PM

Default mix sounds brittle and thin?

I guess I'm going to have to beef up the front end
The fullness that I'm hearing in the comercial mixes has to be from better converters for one. and then the pre amps. So all and all I will need to get that rossetta and a manely pre or avalon. I do have a couple of the joe meek channel strips with a neuman TLM 103 so I'm thinking that it has to first be in the digi AD to DA conversion. Is there anything less than the rosetta that sounds as good. Has anyone tried the Digimax 8 channels for front end converstion. I've tried to use a mass of plug ins but still just doesn't sound as full. What would be the best chain for the money?
Old 10-16-2002, 07:17 PM

Default Re: mix sounds brittle and thin?

STOP....Think about what you are trying to do. Get the sound you want from the instrunemts BEFORE they go into whatever you are using. I have heard great sounds from a mackie 1604. So an Avalon or Manley with garbage going into is still going to be garbage. I used a Joe Meek VC1 as my only mic pre for a lot of things and it was not thin or weak. So WORK to get the sounds you need to get without adding plugs, eq, or effects. Use mic placement, some filters, and learn about mixing and how to get a full sound. An Mbox and a powerbook in the right hands can make hits....
Old 10-16-2002, 11:30 PM

I will have to agree with 9!

Everything I have read about use less highs than you think you may need, bass also. It all makes sense now.

You really can get a good sound from your 001 without converters.

Dont get me wrong converters do make a difference, but I think you would be surprised at what you can get out of the 001 by itself.

Lots of plug-ins will prolly hurt your sound more than help it, if you do not know what you are doing. Just aim for a good ballanced sound do not over compress, unless you are going for affect.

Always use your EQ to take away what you have too much of, not to boost a bunch of frequencies.

Example. If your guitars sound too muddy, do not boost around 5 or 6k, cut between say 100-350 hz.

Just dont get in the habit of boosting everything, cuz your mix will prolly sound like complete crap.
there is tons more, just do a search on mixing, and you will find years of reading material.

Good Luck
Old 10-17-2002, 04:53 AM

I also have to agree...and I fought the same battle for awhile...I thought the Digi 001 had no life to it....then I heard some some mixes posted here, tracked through the 001 with similar pre's..I was shocked!...especially with "Kickins" tracks...they seemed to be full and have punch. So finally with some good instruments, decent mics and a little time I started to get the sound I've been looking for...please don't get me wrong though...I would love to have an Apogee front-end..but I'll get by for now

Nick
Old 10-17-2002, 05:55 AM

I with everyone else. It's all about getting the best sound to the converters. changing mics, preamps, mic placement, tunings, room acoustics, instruments, all the variables that create the acoustic sound you are trying to record.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surchur:
I guess I'm going to have to beef up the front end
The fullness that I'm hearing in the comercial mixes has to be from better converters for one. and then the pre amps. So all and all I will need to get that rossetta and a manely pre or avalon. I do have a couple of the joe meek channel strips with a neuman TLM 103 so I'm thinking that it has to first be in the digi AD to DA conversion. Is there anything less than the rosetta that sounds as good. Has anyone tried the Digimax 8 channels for front end converstion. I've tried to use a mass of plug ins but still just doesn't sound as full. What would be the best chain for the money?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">surchur!
Why dont you post an audio example so we can hear what you are getting with your current setup?
It better be pretty fantastic if you think that its the only equipment holding you back.

Lets try to bring it over to the masses of new PT people, that you dont buy good sound, you learn how to achieve it. And when you finally do, you discover that the equipment actually has very little to do with it!

All the examples on my home page are made with Behringer, 001, no mics over 400$,
Old 10-17-2002, 09:32 AM

I would like to get some feed back I've never uploaded anything yet how would I go about doing that. what format
Old 10-17-2002, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Jenssen:
All the examples on my home page are made with Behringer, 001, no mics over 400$,[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Surchur...(so you can hear the 001 in action) check out Bens examples!!! They do rock!!!

Wow Ben, no mics over $400 bucks!! amazing!
Old 10-17-2002, 11:24 AM

its most likely improper eqing. that is usually the culprit. one album I know that was produced commercially entirely on a 001 is El-p's solo album fantastic damage , and he used the ADs on the 001 and its sounds proffesional as hell. equipement is usually the last problem.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:46 AM

Hey Ben J
... are you mixing and mastering outside of ProTools?