Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Question Eleven Rack with FCB1010 MIDI Controller w/ UnO update 1.0.2

Ok, so I have the FCB1010 foot controller set up like this:

FCB in > 11R out/thru

FCB out/thru > 11R in

11R > Computer via USB

I'm trying to install a sysex file for the Eleven Rack to listen to the FCB1010's commands using "Ripwerx Software".
But when I try to send the patch dump, it asks me to select a MIDI output device.

My options are:
- Rig
- External
- Real Time Sequencer
- Java Sound Synthesizer

Are all my connections correct? and if so, what output should I select? I don't even know what they refer too.

P.S. Please help me with this! The world of MIDI control is the most confusing thing I've ever dealt with in my life and I need this to work for a performance I have coming up soon. If there's any tutorial video or step by step instruction manual easy enough for a five year old to understand then let me know! I can't be the only guitar player who doesn't have a degree in advanced science and wants to use a MIDI foot controller. So many people are saying how great the FCB1010 works with Eleven Rack and i have yet to see the compatibility.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with FCB1010 MIDI Controller w/ UnO update 1.0.2

Read this entire thread.

Behringer FCB1919
Old 11-26-2010, 04:50 PM

the quick answer is External.. but go through the thread that cessnapilot suggested. It might seem like alot but most questions are answered there.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 PM

I opened Ripwerx and selected Get Patch Dump to see what the pedal is currently set up like. I selected my MIDI input/output options both to external and it said "Receiver Time-out"

WHY ISNT THIS WORKING!?!?! I have a mac too if this helps anyone explain this to me.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM

I don't know if you mean "I have a Mac too (besides the PC)" or if you mean "By the way: I'm on a Mac". If the latter, let me tell you the Java editor doesn't work properly on Snow Leopard. You'll have to use a virtualization (Parallels, Fusion) to run one of the PC editors. Then it works.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 AM

Yes it's the later. iMac with OSX 10.6.3 with snow leopard. The java works fine on it. I just read everywhere that people with mac have had so many problems.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

just gonna chime in here, though i definitely don't have the solution. It's common knowledge that the editor is known to not be reliable on many Mac systems. Henceforth why i never went with the FCB1010.

But i'd also like point out that it's not just the Ripwerx editor that experiences problems. I own a Korg microKontrol which i have been using since i was on Tiger. Back on Tiger and Leopard, the editor worked flawlessly. Now that i'm on Snow Leopard, when i try to use the editor to dump/recieve MIDI, i get a "MIDI Timeout". So know i can't edit my microKontrol. According to Korg, the editor is NOT support on Snow Leopard, and CANNOT be guaranteed to work. Also, there are no plans to release a Snow Leopard friendly editor, so now my contoller is pretty much a paperweight.

Now let's apply this to the Ripwerx editor. While researching on the FCB1010/Uno chip and such. I found this:

MAC USERS: Sun does not provide JRE for Mac. Macs come equipped with Apple-provided Java support. Only OSX v10.4 (Tiger) or later will support a suitable Java version. IMPORTANT: Apple's Java implementation is not fully functional with respect to MIDI I/O. You'll also need to download and add "Plum Stone" or "Mandolane". Kudos to Bob Lang! Why do you need Plumstone? See FAQ. Have had no reports of success with 'Mac OS X Leopard'. Some Intel-Mac users have reported unacceptable performance.

whole page found here: http://ripwerxcom.ipage.com/GettingStarted.html

while looking further on the page i found this:

"Very sorry about this. There is no immediate solution. Here are some dissapointing suggestions:
Run Windows on your Mac
Go back to using original Behringer fimware. You can then use iFCB"

With this info, i decided to make the informed decision that a FCB1010 + Mac combo was not reliable enough for my needs. I mean, "if there are no reports of success on Leopard, how can i expect it to function on Snow Leopard?" was my logic. If it doesn't work on your OS, it doesn't work. What can you do? Therefore, I never sprang for the FCB.

My suggestion would be to return the FCB and pay the extra cash for a Roland FC-300 or any of the myriad of controllers on the market that are 11R and Mac friendly.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-28-2010, 04:03 AM

i think returning the FCB and getting the Roland will be much more expensive than getting a virtual Windows on your Mac. You can even use a trial version of Parallels or Fusion if you only need to load the settings once, so it wouldn't cost anything. And there is the free Virtual Box solution as well. So all you'd need is a copy of Windows XP. In the virtual machine it works pretty well.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:23 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmf View Post
i think returning the FCB and getting the Roland will be much more expensive than getting a virtual Windows on your Mac. You can even use a trial version of Parallels or Fusion if you only need to load the settings once, so it wouldn't cost anything. And there is the free Virtual Box solution as well. So all you'd need is a copy of Windows XP. In the virtual machine it works pretty well.
ah good call! i've been away from anything requiring windows for so long i forgot about that. Definitely would save money.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-28-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmf View Post
Yep, that would work. Another option would be getting a cheap PC netbook or laptop just to have around for these kind of situations. $200 an you can grab an Asus 1101 netbook off ebay. or $250+ to grab a Windows laptop. Netbooks or laptops are great to take along to gigs just in case you need to do a change to your sysex quickly, or to open PT on and use the 11R GUI to load/save rigs while you are on the road.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio