Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2022, 05:54 PM

Default Session Template is causing Unlinked files when reopened

Hi Folks, I'm using Pt's 2021.7.0 - don't chide me - I use Pt's vor voice work and I keep using what works until it doesn't!

I have a Session template that I've been using for a few years and now when I save the session and then reopen it I'm getting unlinked files. I've searched the settings and can't figure out what has changed.

Appreciate any help in advance..

Jeff
Old 12-05-2022, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Session Template is causing Unlinked files when reopened

How are you using the Template, through the Dashboard under the Create Tab or opening the Template and using Save As or Save Copy In?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-05-2022, 11:00 AM

I personally prefer to use Templates in a different way. I have a session with all of the tracks, busses, routing, etc. inside, but not saved as a template. I create a new, blank session, then Import Session Data any or all of the tracks from the template that I need into my blank session.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:03 AM

I have a temple with 4 tracks. The first track has the plugins set up. The other 3 are for outtakes etc.

I saved it as a session template. For new sessions I open the the template.

Last night I deleted a some plist files. When I reopened it this afternoon one of the files is not linked.

Pro tools wanted to install a helper tool today as well...
Old 12-05-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I personally prefer to use Templates in a different way. I have a session with all of the tracks, busses, routing, etc. inside, but not saved as a template. I create a new, blank session, then Import Session Data any or all of the tracks from the template that I need into my blank session.
Thats was how I was doing it. Creating a new session and import the plugins that were set up as a group. Can't recall why I had to change from that. I'll give that a try today

Thank you
Old 12-05-2022, 03:15 PM

Did you possible save it originally with media that has since been deleted or moved? Could try creating a session with the template, then go into the clip list and select 'all offline files' I think it is, then clear them and resave over the original template..?
Old 12-05-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Did you possible save it originally with media that has since been deleted or moved? Could try creating a session with the template, then go into the clip list and select 'all offline files' I think it is, then clear them and resave over the original template..?
Led, I stopped using the corrupted Session Template. Now I just open a new session, add the tracks from a saved " set of tracks", then I add the plugins to the main track for recording. So far I've had no files ending up unlinked.

I think that session template was corrupted. Appreciate your time and answers!

Jeff
Old 12-05-2022, 05:08 PM

I spoke too soon. Had one file unlinked.... Now I have to figure out how to relink that file...

J
Old 12-05-2022, 07:24 PM

It isn't clear if the offline files are coming from your template or they are created in your session and something is going on with disk allocation.

Create a new session from your template and check the clip list to make sure it's empty. Clear any find and show all files including auto-created.

You could also create a new blank session and Import Session Data from your template. But tell it not to import the playlists.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:39 PM

Smurfyou, I did that and had a missing link come up again. What occurred to me as well was to check how much space was on the hard drive. I had done a large narration project last winter and there were 40 large video files that I hadn't deleted after the project was finished along with Pro tools session going back to 2019. I moved everything to an external drive this afternoon. Haven't tried using Pro Tools yet but will tomorrow. I haven't seen anything in the posts here that mention this so I'll se how tomorrow goes. I makes sense that the drive was just chock full of previous work...