How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-02-2022, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.10 not opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronAdair View Post
After installing from Download Center dmg, it is working now.

I have been trying to upgrade a client's trashcan Mac Pro 6,1 from High Sierra to Catalina and Protools to 2022.10 and have had the same thing - PT icon bouncing in the dock, but not launching. Been uninstalling and reinstalling for 2 days now, trying different things. Wiped the startup drive and did a fresh install of Catalina from a bootable USB stick. Tried downloading from the avid download centre (rather than the “my products” download links on my account) as per your post - but no different.

Tried reseting the NVRAM - does that really ever do anything? Its never solved a problem for me!

I had the activity monitor open when I tried to launch PT and it showed the Avid Link app crashed a few seconds later. and after that, any time I tried to "show" the app, or launch it, I just got a spinning wheel, even after a restart.

Uninstalled all the Avid stuff yet again. tried many many things.

I tried downloading a slightly earlier version (2022.7? I think) which works on Catalina on my laptop, but I had the same problem.

then through impatience I changed two things at the same time - so I don't know for sure which was the solution. I connected the iLok directly to a USB port on the Mac rather than via a hub. and I installed a PT 2020.11 (the version which was working on High Sierra. That actually launched and appeared to work OK. I then used Avid Link app to update itself to the newest version, and then to update Pro Tools and the HD drive etc, and that all worked and PT2022.10 now launches on the Mac. Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.10 not opening

A not uncommon cause of bouncing apps is macOS gatekeeper trying to reach Apple's de-authorization servers. Typically when users have messed up networking/routing/gateways so that the Mac thinks it's connected to the Internet but is not actually able to reach apple.com (or maybe anywhere). Next time you have bouncing app problems, test the connectivity with:

$ ping ocsp.apple.com

And seeing that those servers respond to the ping. Or fail fairly quickly with an error like no route to host/no network.

You can also physically disconnect your Mac from all networks (Wifi, Wired Ethernet etc.) and that will stop macOS gatekeeper trying to reach the servers.

I have no idea why that Avid KB article does not contain any mention of this not-uncommon cause of these problems, but several of us have mentioned it on DUC multiple times before.