Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-09-2021, 06:36 AM

Default Voice synthesis plugins recommendations - e.g. does anyone use Waves Ovox

I am looking for a Voice Synthesis plug in recommendations that are compatible with pro -tools 11. Does anyone use waves Ovox?
Old 03-09-2021, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Voice synthesis plugins recommendations - e.g. does anyone use Waves Ovox

Mmmmm we bought Ovox but as with all these crap stuff it is never used.

I can sell ours if you find you want this plugin.

Otherwise they just dont work very well IRL i mean flashy videos is a long way from real life processing and we haven’t got any of these working.

We use Melodyne Studio 5 for vocal effects as it just works and if we need extra cool trippy vocals we use Vocalsynth2 and it does ALOT of cool things.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-09-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Voice synthesis plugins recommendations - e.g. does anyone use Waves Ovox

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
I am looking for a Voice Synthesis plug in recommendations that are compatible with pro -tools 11. Does anyone use waves Ovox?
I demoed Ovox and found its audio-to-MIDI tracking to be not great - didn't buy it.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-09-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I demoed Ovox and found its audio-to-MIDI tracking to be not great - didn't buy it.
+1

Not ”ready” really and glad we only paid like $25-$30 for the priviledge to have yet another plugin in a folder filled with the same stuff = plugins that never been used as they aren’t good enough! ... or doesn’t work properly i.e bad procramming and CPU hogging and bad sounding and so on ... bye Felicia

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-09-2021, 01:10 PM

If you only look at Ovox as vocal fx plugin, then it is limited. But, all the things it can do can be applied to other tracks as well for some very interesting fx options, for the right trax. However, the biggest drawback with it is it's one heck of a resource hog! You can almost hear it munching on the CPU!

Old 03-09-2021, 01:32 PM

How does Vocal synth 2 work. Can you just record a vocal and then apply an effect to it so it sounds e.g. like a vocoder?
Old 03-09-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
How does Vocal synth 2 work. Can you just record a vocal and then apply an effect to it so it sounds e.g. like a vocoder?
It’s easier if you watch the hundreds of videos at utube since they show and tell.

But you can do an endless bunch of cool stuff with Vocal Synth 2 and we use it to do really good fun modern stuff to big artists vocals as you hear on the radio. Used by lots of producers of popradio.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-23-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
If you only look at Ovox as vocal fx plugin, then it is limited. But, all the things it can do can be applied to other tracks as well for some very interesting fx options, for the right trax. However, the biggest drawback with it is it's one heck of a resource hog! You can almost hear it munching on the CPU!
Often plugins that require low latency will consume more CPU. Less time to perform all those calculations dives the CPU higher.

Although, I don’t have that much problem with tracking. It’s never going to be perfect though. Whether it’s a vocal synth plugin, pitch tracking in a guitar pedal, it’s something that is hard to achieve perfectly every time in real time, without latency That’s why plugins like Melondyne drive up the latency.

The other vocoder I think is quite good is iZotope’s Vocal Synth, it has a more of a classic approach, than oVox which tends to give you something more modern to play with that will also work well on other instruments. They both have their pros and cons an can be used to compliment each other.

Last edited by simon.a.billington; 03-23-2021 at 06:27 AM.