Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM

Default Can anyone clarify 1) Midi Track Sizing, and 2) color coding Midi Editor

I will try this again. Please help with my midi mapping of a drum kit which must be visually intelligent. Is this view of a drum kit with its colored hits easy to get in PT8 or above? Because this was very tough to get for pt7.4 and all versions below. It was very finicky. I hope PT8 is more efficient. Can someone try for me either intelligently through the midi editor or normally like this.

Here is a link to the picture.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/a...8C48FEA7B7.jpg

I want this so that if there is a certain number of pads mapped to keys of one particular set of drum types - for example - grouping hats - , if it can neatly be set up this way to see only the hits you want to see in the new editor, and if not in the editor, then in the normal edit window...

with PT 7.4 and below, this is very difficult to achieve after mapping exactly the pads you want on the keyboard (takes too long to resize tracks to border notes you want visible and note sizing - with sizing and zoom modifiers, and then sometimes the marker just does not want to recall the saved track sizes exactly - it is very finicky, and as you can see in the picture below, i cannot get the borders exactly accurate and neatly bordering ranges. So is the track and MIDI note sizing more smooth and flexible in 8 and above? If yes then i will immediately upgrade.

but i looked in the PT8 manual and this seems impossible to do smoothly in the Midi editor too while penciling in hits because i read in the 8 manual that if in the editor you click on a pad and all tracks are pencil-enabled - then notes will be inserted on all pencil-enabled tracks. But I do not want this - i want a click of the kick mapped to C1 to only insert a blue note on C1, and not also on C1 of all the pencil enabled tracks of the midi editor!

According to the manual, i would have to de-activate the other pencil enabled tracks if I want no note going on the same note value of the other tracks, only on kick C1 of that track having the kick (since you can only color code per track for this situation)..... this is a problem, because I want to be able to rapidly click kicks, snares, or any other hit on the fly ant not have to constantly deactivate and re-activate pencil enable indicators. And also, what color does the midi editor know to hit when the midi tracks are all pencil enabled?

Also, if I go with 8 (since i am on XP and kinda have to), since there is no ADC in M-powered or LE- do you know the quickest way to manually delay-compensate?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Can anyone clarify 1) Midi Track Sizing, and 2) color coding Midi Editor

Pro Tools - MIDI Editor Part 1
Pro Tools - MIDI Editor Part 2

Pro Tools 8 and higher supports MIDI Editor.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Can anyone clarify 1) Midi Track Sizing, and 2) color coding Midi Editor

You already responded with these links before and to no avail.

Which is why i wrote: "I'm gonna try this again."

Did you even look at my picture link?

For the third time now, your shared links fail to address the issue!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM

for dance music beats the methods of the guy in the video work because those beats are not intricate. But I am doing metal drums and rhythms which is much crazier have my own method for inserting notes if I wish to have an intelligent view of the drum kit and patterns i make from it. (in addition to times when i feel like trying to play drums on my midi pads.

Therefore, the kit needs to be very well mapped out on the grid. to color code pads makes life alot easier when clicking drums.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Alternatively, use Single Note View.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 AM

i prefer grouping pads.