Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-04-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Help me decide what to upgrade (first)...

help me decide what to upgrade (first)..lots of pro guys opinions here...
Hi folks!

This shall sound dumb but as I have been thinking of making an upgrade and budget is limited, here are the options:

Go from current rig: 02R V2 44k/48k with 3 CD8At slots + PT 5.1.1 Mix Plus TDM /OS 9.2/MAC G4 800 + 2 Adat bridges + Sebatron VM2000pVU + lots of nice authorized plugs to:

a) PT HD1 + 96 I/o, keeping one Adat Bridge 24 bits of my rig and Sebatron ;

or

b) Yamaha 02R 96k + 2 16MY cards so as to have 32in/outs for in line PT Mix 5.1.1 TDM session mixes with the board.(also keeping the Sebatron)

Below, a collection of lots of pro guys advices..

> going with a digital board again is dumb, since it will be obsolete sooner than you can imagine; so, you should invest in front end like the Sebatron 200VU, Focusrite pre, etc;

> the new 02r has really nice pres and compressors so why spend in outboard;

> 02R automation sucks, PT automation is faster and stays within the session backups data;

> Pt HD is far superior than 02R 96k;

> 02R 96k is a nice controller for PT with plenty bonuses like 4 reverbs, channels, etc;

> Nobody cares about o2R´s nowadays, PT HD is the word;

> PT HD will be obsoleted next year. New, more powerful cards are coming. Save money and go outboard analog;

> Go with the board, your sound will improve, bull to 96k, expensive bak;

> Hey, why go PT hd, pay for all the upgrades again, lose nice plugs like Lexicon, Master X 5;

so... please, gimme your opinions about it!LOL

Thanks for the attention!

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Help me decide what to upgrade (first)...

...so much help..lol

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:21 PM

Well - you did not really tell us what you do - music - post: ads, TV-films, cinema, radio...?

If you are in post i would fully disagree with all the people who say the O2R will be obsolete. I do film-mixing for years now (first with two O2Rs and now with a DM-2000) and I would not like to do mixing in PT - the automation is much better on the Yamahas. Especially because PT can still not do this easy thing - record automation and stay at the levels where you are until a level-change from a previous run will arise - and it should do that even if you stoped before the next scene. Just because this feature is not in PT the automation does not work in film. You have to touch the faders until the next scene - if you did a premix (in the mode write to end it will erase all the automation you did already - if you go to return to last level it will go there, but that means that you have to stay on the faders until the next scene in the film starts) PT will just not work - or at least slow you and your customers down quite heavy.Same with radio-drama... If you do ads for TV or radio the automation will work fine in PT. For music the automation works fine too.It will just dont work really in film (TV or cinema).
If new cards will come out really (who knows) i would rather wait anyway - just to - spend not too much money.
Basically i would really say it depends a lot on what your job is...
Old 09-05-2003, 09:26 PM

Thanks Ploch. In fact 95% of time is for bands, artists, sometimes horn Bands and camerata ( 35 to 60 musicians). I do the engineering stuff as well as music production ( arrangemets, playing, singing). 5% is for cinema, tv-ads.
70% of time for tracking and 30% for junior mastering.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:40 AM

IMO it is important to think requirements first, toys second. Ask yourself questions like:

Why do I want to upgrade?

What shortfalls I see in my system that I want to improve?

What do I need to do that my present system does not provide?

What are my desired sound quality improvements?

What are my desired work-flow improvements?

Note-to-self: There is so much gear out there and forever chasing it can really get in the way of productivity. . . Nirvana is a state of mind.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:50 PM

yes Howard. You are right. Music is the main target. No goodmusic, no talent, no reason for all this chase.
In fact better monitors, better mic pres, better control room acoustics, proper clocking and miking techniques are far more important than 192/96/apogee/prisma wars as well as 2 mix buss/stereo depth/quality improvment issues around PT Mix/HD.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Go from current rig: 02R V2 44k/48k with 3 CD8At slots + PT 5.1.1 Mix Plus TDM /OS 9.2/MAC G4 800 + 2 Adat bridges + Sebatron VM2000pVU + lots of nice authorized plugs to:
a) PT HD1 + 96 I/o, keeping one Adat Bridge 24 bits of my rig and Sebatron ;

Jeez, whatever you do, I'd say stick with the 192 i/o. The street prices on the 192's have come way down from where they once were. They're downright affordable on eBay these days -- just be wary of fly-by-night dealers, and make sure you get good solid references and deal with people with good feedback.

--Marc W.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:13 PM

Don't forget Mp3 rules!

Just kidding
Old 09-07-2003, 05:16 PM

Hey anyway (to a different subject) the posts don't seem to really count! (Look under each username, the number under it doesn't increement!)
Old 09-07-2003, 07:35 PM

Ploch,
I've gotta disagree with you about mixing in Pro Tools for film. I'm in the middle of a huge movie on 2 HD3's with 2 Control 24's. On my side of the console( Dialog/Music) has about 70 tracks and the Sound Effects/ Foley side has 124 tracks. THE SYSTEM ROCKS !!! There is no way in hell I'd mix that on a Yamaha with it's poor resolution faders. Not a chance. Remember this is an "OLD SCHOOL MIXER" talking. I'm not grabbing faders to keep them going and I'm able to get into and out of any section smoothly so I don't know what your experience is with Pro tools is, but mine is of complete satisfaction! I love it!! Having mixed on Multi Million Dollar Film Consoles, I'm happier than ever with Pro Tools.I had high hopes when the DM2000 came out but when looking closer and talking with the Yamaha reps at AES it sure seemed to be a bit of a dissapointment considering the cost (about 350% more than a street price of a Control 24). As for staying on the faders, you can volume graph an area that is from a start of a scene to another and the faders stay right where you want them. Or you can write your Predub automation into a...., never mind.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.