Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Orignial MBox not recognized as audio device

Hi guys and gals,

First off, I want to stress that I'm trying to use my MBox as a USB audio interface to run TrueRTA, and NOT Pro Tools.

I'm running Windows 7 Starter on a netbook so I can go from venue to venue. I attached the Mbox via USB, and the box lit up, but the device was not recognized and there were 'no drivers found.'

Then, I downloaded the standalone drivers (v7.0) from the Avid Web site, mistakenly believing these to be the most recent drivers. Installed them, and the device was recognized but wouldn't run - Device Manager kept saying the drivers were not digitally signed, put a big yellow exclamation point next to it.

Then I stumbled across another thread on here where an Avid administrator provided a link to standalone drivers v7.4. Downloaded that - now the device is recognized in Device Manager with no problem.

HOWEVER, when I try to set the Mbox as the default recording/playback device, it's not listed. I tried 'show disabled devices' and 'show disconnected devices,' but still only see the built-in RealTek audio device. (I also tried looking through the input/output devices in TrueRTA, but found only MS sound mapper and the built-in microphone.)

Anybody have any ideas? I'm going a little batty here.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Orignial MBox not recognized as audio device

I don't hold out much hope for this, but if I were you, I would download and install ASIO4ALL and see if that helps. Digi/Avid never made drivers for the old Mbox on Windows 7. OR, if you have an older Pro Tools installer, you could try running the installer as administrator and install it with XP compatibility(I wouldn't expect Pro Tools to work this way, but it might get you a working audio driver)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the response, Albee. I did download the ASIO4ALL drivers, but it appears to be just two .dll files and an uninstall program? I can't get the Device Manager to 'find' these drivers when I try to 'update the drivers' for the MBox.

I'd sort of like to run the entirety of Windows 7 in XP compatibility mode, if you catch my drift. Anyway, thanks for the thought. (I also have to credit your signature with helping me to explain something about our new Venue board to the club owner.)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS3474 View Post
Thanks for the response, Albee. I did download the ASIO4ALL drivers, but it appears to be just two .dll files and an uninstall program? I can't get the Device Manager to 'find' these drivers when I try to 'update the drivers' for the MBox.

I'd sort of like to run the entirety of Windows 7 in XP compatibility mode, if you catch my drift. Anyway, thanks for the thought. (I also have to credit your signature with helping me to explain something about our new Venue board to the club owner.)
I this be the case, I would simply remove the hard drive, install a new drive and install Windows XP. That's what I did to my Gateway, which came with Vista(which I never cared for). It took 2 days to locate XP drivers for everything, but the old Gateway has been running on XP for 3 years now

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave