Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-25-2003, 01:02 PM

Default New track I recorded yesterday

I started a new track last sunday, and ended up re-recording everything last night. The artist's name is Sarah Schupbach. She wrote the song, and performed everything on this track right now. It's just acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and lead vocals. some friends of mine will record bass and drums soon, and I need to mix in the background vocals.

Here's the track: http://www.lumiere.net/~nat/Reason-New-Mix.mp3

Acoustic guitar was recorded with an Audio Technica AT4033 and a Shure SM57 in an XY pattern, with the AT4033 facing the soundhole and the SM57 facing the neck. Vocals are recorded with the AT4033, and electric guitar went direct in with a Line6 POD. Everything went direct to my MBOX and into my rev.B 1Ghz 12" PowerBook. This rough mix was mixed on my dual 1.25 G4.

I recorded it all in my living room of my apartment, with blankets taped up all over for sound deadening.

The acoustic is a Martin guitar, I don't know the model. The electric guitar is mine, it's a Samick Torino TR-1.

Any critiques, comments?
Old 10-25-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Re: New track I recorded yesterday

Hi,

nice voice!

The only thing that sounds obvious to me is when the electric guitar comes on, I feel like it's fighting to be in the same place as the voice. It feels like the voice is instantly masked by it. Maybe pan the guit a little...This is only what I would try to do, but if it was meant to sound this way then it's OK. But why would someone want to mask such a nice voice? Keep up the good work and I hope you'll be back with the final results!

Ben

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 10-25-2003, 06:01 PM

Yep, nice voice nicely recorded. Listening to your track on head phones I felt somewhat the same, the voice and the instruments, especially the e.gtr., were crowding the center space. Maybe you just didn't work on the stereo spread on this rough mix. I too would like to hear how it develops!

Cheers!
Old 10-25-2003, 06:15 PM

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I haven't done any panning yet for the rough mix, so everything's in the center. Well, the guitar is a little to the left I think, but that's because one mic was a bit more sensative than the other. I'm definately going to work on the stereo image for the final mix, but I'm waiting for the drums and bass, since that will affect where I want to place things. I'm thinking of bringing the acoustic a bit more to the left, electric on the right, and vocals just slightly left, with background vocals on the right. Bass will probably be centered, and drums will be centered, though maybe leaning towards the right.

Does anyone think the electric guitar is a bit too loud in the mix? I also think I should bring up the volume of the fingerpicking acoustic during the bridge.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:54 AM

Any other comments/critiques?