Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 AM

Default mac pro system migration for HDX use

now that ive accepted the fact that my 2008 harpertown mac pro will not work with hdx (sigh) im considering the most efficient options for migrating my current system to a new and compatible mac pro. wondering if anyone has expierence with these considerations and if they were successful.

the first option i am considering is simply exchanging the drive that comes with the new mac pro with one of my system clone drives from the 2008 mp and then performing the updates to the OS and PT10 etc to that drive. has anyone tried this? are there any core system files that interact with hardware IDs that could cause a meltdown?

the second option im considering is using apples migration assistant, then performing updates. does this preserve your applications, settings, prefs etc?

look forward to your feedback.

thanks in advance!
joseph
PT 11.1.3
OS 10.9.2

www.jafboxsound.com
Old 11-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Default Re: mac pro system migration for HDX use

Your best bet is to install and update applications from scratch.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 AM

First, unlike the old OS9 days, there seems to be very little machine specific code in the OS, so you can indeed take your OS drive out of your old computer, put it in your new one, boot from it, update, and be on your merry way.

The only caveat would be that Apple does sometime prevent you from using really outdated OS's on newer computers. This trick would most likely not work with, say 10.4 and earlier, and a new MacPro.

With that said, however, I'd always choose to do what the other poster has suggested.... starting from scratch.

Best to get PT up and running FIRST, then worry about compatibility with other software you may be running. You can always put your old OS Drive into your new computer and access the files on it, as you need them. Not to mention that if you totally upgrade your old system drive, the ability to go back and boot from it for whatever reason will be gone!!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Talbot View Post
First, unlike the old OS9 days, there seems to be very little machine specific code in the OS, so you can indeed take your OS drive out of your old computer, put it in your new one, boot from it, update, and be on your merry way.

The only caveat would be that Apple does sometime prevent you from using really outdated OS's on newer computers. This trick would most likely not work with, say 10.4 and earlier, and a new MacPro.

With that said, however, I'd always choose to do what the other poster has suggested.... starting from scratch.

Best to get PT up and running FIRST, then worry about compatibility with other software you may be running. You can always put your old OS Drive into your new computer and access the files on it, as you need them. Not to mention that if you totally upgrade your old system drive, the ability to go back and boot from it for whatever reason will be gone!!
Yeah - the way I understand it is you can't boot one of the new Macs that has Lion on it with any version of OSX earlier than that because of the EFI changes. This would prevent the op from doing what he's thinking of doing.

The other thing is is to NEVER EVER use Migration Assistant. There's a reason it's often called Migration Assassin. Best as others have said to install everything from new. If you're concerned about losing old emails & such just copy your user folder onto disk and pop that into the new machine and copy over the folders you need. Did that when I got my Mac Mini last year. Worked great.

QAPLA!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 AM

thanks so much for your replies! i haven't heard the term migration assassin. ha. may just have to take a few days off and do the full install from scratch.
PT 11.1.3
OS 10.9.2

www.jafboxsound.com