Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2000, 02:43 PM

Default She\'s breaking up.....

Have any of you NT users experienced the following:

I'll be mid session and playback turns to hash/noise at certain areas in the song. The wave forms look normal but when the cursor gets to that part of the song it turns to noizzze. Ouch.

A simple restart of PT corrects the issue...but this has happened to me twice now. BTW, I'm not doing anything outlandish when it occurs...normal usage. WHOTSUP???

Old 03-23-2000, 04:27 PM

Default Re: She\'s breaking up.....

YES!!

This in addition to the "ghost audio" problem occur to me on a regular basis. During heavy PT usage one of these problems happens to me at least once a day. The ghost audio thing isn't so bad when clients are around, but the audio suddenly becoming full code pink noise can make the clients' hearts leap. Not just because of the loud noise either. "What happened to my music?!!"
Old 03-23-2000, 07:54 PM

I have experienced both of the above problems. I haven't found a work around for the "ghost audio" problem yet, but I have found one for the "sudden obnoxious noise" problem which I used to get quite regularly. I stopped using destructive record mode I haven't heard the "sudden obnoxious noise" since. Hopefully both problems will be fixed in an upcoming software update. Good Luck

JP
Old 03-24-2000, 03:05 AM

Hi guys,

I See this and the ghost problem. I have been using NT Protools heavily for the last 3 months and touch wood have not had any of these probs.
I am wondering do you guys use FAT or NTFS.
I was told orginally to use FAT only for both system/audio storage. Now I see that some people are using NTFS for both. I filled the whole partition bar 100 meg last night. 80 minutes for a blue band and thought I would run into a problem. Had none.

I am also run all my scsi drives at 20meg, from the VST days when you would loose data and crash now and then at full bandwidth.

Bye Dave

------------------
Bye Dave
www.indentmusic.com.au
Old 03-24-2000, 06:56 AM

I´ve had both problems (ghost audio & sudden obnoxious noise). I am using two 18GB cheetas formated NTFS.

What are you using NTFS or FAT???
Old 03-24-2000, 08:37 AM

I guess I experienced the "Ghost Audio" problem last night....similar to the "obnoxious noise" problem only the tracks turn to silence.

Interesting point about Destructive Record...you may be onto something there...

As for my volumes, FAT System, NTFS Audio.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-24-2000, 10:17 AM

Never experienced the noise-thing, but have run into the ghost problem on occasion - that and funny bits appeareing from nowhere during session bounce. On PT5: nothing so far. Those of you experiencing this on NTFS volumes should consider switching to FAT and see if the problem persists.

Justin

Note to God: please don't let me start the FAT vs. NTFS war with this post. I know these guys love their NTFS volumes. And while you're at it: can your other divine creation (Digidesign, not beer) make us all a NTFS driver? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2000, 03:28 PM
Avid

Hi. When we refer to "ghost audio", we are describing a behavior where the wrong audio plays in the place of audio that's supposed to be there. On the NT system this can occur on one side of a stereo region and it can happen in the middle of a X-fade (that I've seen). The wavform remains correct but the meters reflect what's really playing. As it stands this is the problem we're embroiled in at the moment, and are doing everything we can do to bring it to resolution.

The "noise burst" behavior is a very different behavior. The history of this problem has been that it's the TDM clock falling out of sync lock. All the audio that plays in a TDM system runs through the TDM bus. The causes for this are usually hardware related. Check the seating of all cables, especially the peripheral cable and the TDM ribbon cable. Run Digitest. Lastly, be sure that screen savers, intermittent alarums or
any auto programs/utilities are disabled. If you're all over this stuff and you're still experiencing the problem on a regular basis, please contact us via the official support channels provided.

Phone support has had some longer than usual wait times the last couple months (depending on when you called). We lost some key folks and it's taken us this time to hire and train new techs and generally address the problem. We're putting five new people on line next week (at long last). This frees up the techs trained for NT that were handling allot of mac calls recently. I feel it's only fair that you're aware what been go'in on in Digi support land. I'm always interested in specific methodology you may stumble upon that produces behaviors like these I've been discussing. Please make us aware if you have a sure fire (or even a semi-sure fire) formula that triggers these audio problems. Thanks for you patience.

Tom S
Old 03-27-2000, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TechSupt:

The "noise burst" behavior is a very different behavior. The history of this problem has been that it's the TDM clock falling out of sync lock. All the audio that plays in a TDM system runs through the TDM bus. The causes for this are usually hardware related. Check the seating of all cables, especially the peripheral cable and the TDM ribbon cable. Run Digitest. Lastly, be sure that screen savers, intermittent alarums or any auto programs/utilities are disabled. If you're all over this stuff and you're still experiencing the problem on a regular basis, please contact us via the official support channels provided.(end of quote)

Your explanation of the noise burst behavior doesn't make sense in light of my work around. If I have one of the above mentioned problems (loose cables, back-ground programs running, etc.) then how could I get rid of the problem completely by not using destructive record mode. I was experiencing the problem 2-5 times a day until I stopped using destructive record mode and I haven't had it once since. That seems to narrow down the possible problems to me.
Old 03-28-2000, 04:26 PM

Based on Jeffery's input, I went into a session sans Destruct Record, and had the problem occur. Noise burst) It seems to be totally random when it happens as far as I can tell.