Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2022, 07:33 AM

Default RE: XLR to Lightning input adapter recommendations?

I just got into podcasting making woodworking videos. I am impressed with the kind of picture my iPhone 12 produces. I would like to get better audio input.

I am seeking an adapter to go from XLR into the phone. I play guitar and would even like it to be line input. I have a few stage mics, a TLM 103 and 2 EV Evolution Lav packs.

All said, I am seeking a good adapter. I saw this one,

https://saramonicusa.com/smartrig-di...ith-lightning/

But I would like some thoughts.

PT11, Quantum 2626. Fire Studio.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:12 AM

Default Re: XLR to Lightning input adapter recommendations?

Ikmultimedia make a slew of good quality interfaces that work well with the iPhone

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpre2/

Not a direct lightning connector but works fine with the Apple 3.5mm lightning to headphone adapter.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...e-jack-adapter
Old 06-05-2022, 12:02 PM

Are you are doing this solo? So no sound person to boom a Mic? Then I would guess you are going to pretty quickly want a wireless lavalier mic, even if something as simple as a Rode Wireless Go (which also gives you a simple iPhone connectivity). To not be picking up excessive noise even from some hand tools, and for not tripping over cables as you move around. So that might adds up itself to more than a low-cost interface.

But to get started I'd just play around with the interfaces you have, forget taking audio into the iPhone for now, just add it in in post. You will likely only be taping short segments so a hand clap to sync stuff should be all you need even with sloppy iOS video frame rates. Now that's assuming you can get your interface and computer positioned somewhere nearby. But a big reason for that is just to see how things work because I suspect you'll end up wanting a radio lavalier mic.

And moving on from there, you might actually end up wanting a field recorder, some of which will interface to the iPhone as an interface, but more importantly if you end up doing this I expect you would move off the iPhone to a DSLR/mirrorless camera. And I would probably want to keep the in-camera reference audio track and not record over that with an external mic(s). Just seems not making any choice initially and using what you have is the best route. I know if I had to do this I'd reach for my Sound Devices MixPre 3 and just use it as a stand alone field recorder. And there are timecode sync solutions for the iPhone, but you don't need them to get started.

If you do look around for an interface you might not want to limit yourself to only the most obvious iOS/iPhone/iPad interfaces. And avoid anything Lightning dedicated especially (if they are any such devices) since hopefully Lightning is dying off in favor of USB-C. Some nice USB interfaces include a class compliant mode, many of those should work, pending being able to be powered/having a compatible cable/adapter story. The vendors should make clear those interfaces work with iOS devices. Worth thinking about so you see what is available... may just give you more choices/not limit yourself to crappier?/less flexible interfaces designed just for iOS devices.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But to get started I'd just play around with the interfaces you have, forget taking audio into the iPhone for now, just add it in in post. You will likely only be taping short segments so a hand clap to sync stuff should be all you need even with sloppy iOS video frame rates. Now that's assuming you can get your interface and computer positioned somewhere nearby. But a big reason for that is just to see how things work because I suspect you'll end up wanting a radio lavalier mic.
Yes - this is basically the method I use. Either record the audio to a field recorder or an interface connected to a laptop and sync the audio up afterwards. With a decent interface and mic you should be able to get some quality audio.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7