Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-28-2002, 06:10 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default What\'s the best way to raise volume on a "bounced" track?

I'm new to this whole Pro Tools thing, I really like it and I have a question.

Say I've mixed an entire project on a digital console and I'm bringing it into Pro Tools via the SPDIF input, in stereo.

Once I get the beginning and end all edited up really nice and I'm ready to "bounce" it to a mixed stereo wave file, I have noticed that the volume output of the file is always "quiet" and needs to be "turned up" (I am over simplifying on purpose here, please bear with me)

SO!! How do you guys do it??

THANK YOU-

Jhon [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [email protected]
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 01-28-2002, 06:26 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best way to raise volume on a "bounced" track?

Audiosuite 'normalize' to get the peaks up to zero, then use a limiter to increse the overall volume...
Old 01-28-2002, 06:32 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

Thanks- but do I apply that as a "plug in" or do I highlight the track and then try to apply the Normalizer thing? then the limiter? The "details" are my problem.

Forgive my ignorance, the rules are different then they were on the O2R!

Jhon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [email protected]
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 01-28-2002, 06:51 PM

Audiosuite refers to Highlighting the waveform and destructively applying the plug in. Use the limiter as an inline plug on the master bus.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:57 PM

Right on!! I will go and attempt to do as you said . . .(it's a different PC) then I'll come back and tell ya if I failed or not!! ha ha

Thanks a bunch-
JHon [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2002, 04:44 AM

The song I used this technique on is a heavy rock tune and there's alot of "big punches" in it that tend to make the song "clip" so what do I do about that? Compress it? I did use the Limiter like you said and that seemed to raise the gain pretty well.

Jhon [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]