Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM

Default plugin-alliance & USB activation...

USB thumb drives fail so much makes me worry about USB Activation...
Kingston 8GB DT108 never failed yet, but...

Thank God,
there is CompactFlash, and has ECC memory correction.

i must remember to buy another CF card & USB reader.
last one i gave it to my brother for his digital camera.
it was a Lexar 200x, too slow for Recording Digital TV FHD with my TV.
i need it back!

i suspect ilok USB also has ECC memory correction...
Steinberg eLicencer seems it does not, but has a clever "resync/refresh button"

plugin-alliance does not have something to check ECC errors.
reading Waves FAQ seems also does not.

fast microSD get too Hot and self shutdown for protection, donīt like that much.
memory cannot go over 44°C or will start to loose information, same with SSDīs, OCZ Agility 4 self shuts down if Laptop gets too hot in that area.

SD cards have more plastic to dissipate the heat, but CompactFlash are awesome, fault tolerance.

the new CompactFast are much fast, can be adapted to SSD, but... I donīt think they have ECC memory correction.

SSDīs have a very large cache, usually 1GB hidden, used to Refresh all the Bits stored in the memory when is turned-on, Read & Writes all data automatically, like an automatic eLicencer resync/refresh in the background.
without that, SSDīs would loose all information even turned-on.

SSDīs turned off can last a year, if temps are 20°C, but for every +5°C when stored, data life will cut in half! crazy.

another alternative would be to buy an external 2.5" USB 5400rpm spinning disk, but access times are so slow, probably would make loading plugins slower or some even fail.
Click: User lists^
Click: Add to ignore list.
Solved.

Last edited by JuanPC; 06-25-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:09 PM

Default Re: plugin-alliance & USB activation...

There's so much crap in your post it's ridiculous. Just your last statement alone about buying a 5400 rpm spinner and connect via usb - nobody would ever do that in their right mind. But then again you wouldn't know about that.

Are you sure you're not the long-banned user named amack come back on another account?

QAPLA!
Old 06-25-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There's so much crap in your post it's ridiculous. Just your last statement alone about buying a 5400 rpm spinner and connect via usb - nobody would ever do that in their right mind. But then again you wouldn't know about that.
#1. Yes, you are right... Plugin-alliance does not detect USB hard drives as possible activation method... Ilok also does not.
Only detects C:\ drive or Thumb drives.
Not possible, but would be nice if it could.

2.5" HDD's last longer than 3.5" HDD's, never seen one fail, even dropped to the floor a few times.
I had a collection of damaged 3.5" HDD's
So far 5x 3.5" damaged, maybe more.

One failed because I had a subwoofer near the PC.
Other failed 3 days after warranty expired, no reason.
Accidentally dropped 3x Server grade 2TB HDD's, 1x did not survived, other is flawless, other makes strange noises, and some files fail.

#2. Not banned, I have PTHD, you?

This is not gearslutz. LOL. Jajajajajajaja

#3. Want to see HD users can't get banned?
LOL. Jajajajajaja
Click: User lists^
Click: Add to ignore list.
Solved.

Last edited by JuanPC; 06-25-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:02 PM

What is your fascination with ECC in your first post?? NAND requires some form of ECC and its present in some form on most all drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post
2.5" HDD's last longer than 3.5" HDD's, never seen one fail, even dropped to the floor a few times.
I had a collection of damaged 3.5" HDD's
So far 5x 3.5" damaged, maybe more.
This is quite the facepalm quote... I have a stack of 4 internals and 1 external bad 2.5" drives I can send you from the last couple years. Like most of us, you probably use far more 3.5" drives than 2.5" drives and then most people the last few years have been replacing all internal 2.5" drives with SSD's. That leaves the external 2.5" drives to hold data or temp backups. They are far outnumbered by 3.5" drives and SSD's.

Quote:
One failed because I had a subwoofer near the PC.
Other failed 3 days after warranty expired, no reason.
Accidentally dropped 3x Server grade 2TB HDD's, 1x did not survived, other is flawless, other makes strange noises, and some files fail.
I average about 1-3.5" drive failure for every 20 or so I install. Typically they are bad right out the box or fail within the first couple months. Past that point, chances are they will be good for the next 3-4 years. I replace all my drives between 4-5 years regardless of how they are working.

Quote:
#2. Not banned, I have PTHD, you?

This is not gearslutz. LOL. Jajajajajajaja

#3. Want to see HD users can't get banned?
LOL. Jajajajajaja
[/QUOTE]

What does have having an HD license have ANYTHING to do with the Duc or being banned or anything else???

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-26-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
What is your fascination with ECC in your first post?? NAND requires some form of ECC and its present in some form on most all drives.

This is quite the facepalm quote... I have a stack of 4 internals and 1 external bad 2.5" drives I can send you from the last couple years. Like most of us, you probably use far more 3.5" drives than 2.5" drives and then most people the last few years have been replacing all internal 2.5" drives with SSD's. That leaves the external 2.5" drives to hold data or temp backups. They are far outnumbered by 3.5" drives and SSD's.

I average about 1-3.5" drive failure for every 20 or so I install. Typically they are bad right out the box or fail within the first couple months. Past that point, chances are they will be good for the next 3-4 years. I replace all my drives between 4-5 years regardless of how they are working.

What does have having an HD license have ANYTHING to do with the Duc or being banned or anything else???[/QUOTE]
Drive failure like you say is mostly infant mortality and once you get past that, bar getting slammed with a sledge hammer or voltage surge, they'll last a good long time.

As to your last sentence what JPC wrote is typical of his non-sequiturs and nonsense. The mods need to have a talk with him (I think they may have already but that doesn't appear to have sunk in). He's referring to where I wrote about him possibly being the banned amack; nowheres did I mention anything to do with PTHD.

QAPLA!