Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Advice Needed on first Movie Post Project.

Hi Everyone. I am about to start doing post for a straight to DVD movie. This is my first big post project. I am experienced with Protools and know the program quite well. However I lack real world experience in actually delivering somthing of this magnitude.

I will be responsible for cleaning up / editing the dialogue, adding sfx and placing music in the timeline (already produced). We will be doing the final mix in a large studio in my city.

I am expecting the delivery to be out of their video editing program. They are almost at the Final Locked Picture. I'm using an Mbox 2, Mac G5 (dual 2.5) with 3.5 gigs memory, and Protools 7.3. I am also planning on investing in the DV Toolkit 2, as I'm sure I'll need to import and send Omf's.

I read alot of the threads in the forum already, there is alot of great info. If it's not too much trouble for you experienced producers, could you maybe direct me to some good reading that will help me out in my quest to be a great post productionist? Also if you have any tips or advice, I would really apreciate it !

Thank you all for your time, this is a great site. .
Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Advice Needed on first Movie Post Project.

The new David Lewis Yewdall "Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound" is great, Amazon has it.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks, just ordered it. Read some reviews online and it sounds great.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Hi, I've read it also, and it's a very worthwhile book.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 AM

"Things I've Learned after it was too late..." (with apologies to Charles Schultz) or 10 Useful hints for Your First Film.

1. If you think it'll take a month to do... get two.
2. Go talk to the person who'll be mixing it... They'll be happy to give you all sorts of feedback from track layout to labelling. If the Mixer is on your side, things will go a million times easier at the mix - especially when the Director wants to know why you didn't record the ADR lines he said he didn't need...
3. When it comes to organization, work under the "Bus" principal - If you got hit by a bus tomorrow, would the person taking over be able to make sense of what you've done.
4. ADR is not an OPTION - it's a necessity (have fun arguing THAT one with the producer and director).
5. Read Yewdall's book AGAIN.
6. Anyone can make doors slam, guns go bang, and things explode... it's the little details that REALLY make a soundtrack come alive.
7. If you're not sure whether it's right... do it again.
8. If someone says "Don't worry, it's taken care of..." - check it now!
9. Read Yewdall's book one more time.
10. Have FUN - you only get one first one, for better or worse, so enjoy the experience!

Seriously, good luck. I still fondly remember my first feature, mistakes and all. Yes it's scary as all hell, but it's still a grand adventure.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM

That's awesome Sonsey thanks. I can't wait to get that book and read it cover to cover.

I'd love to hear some other people's first mistakes or experiences if they wouldn't mind sharing.

When the production is done I'll let you all know what movie I worked on. It will be available at Blockbuster.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM

will this mix in Vancouver?
I suggest you talk to the people who will be mixing this.
Have you done any dialog/Sfx/bg editing?
Do you have the Sfx libraries to do the job?

remember, anything wrong will fall on your head. So make sure you prepare it well.

IMDB Credits
Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Yes, yes and yes.

I have a 2 year audio engineering degree. My passion and focus during this was post production. Top of my class because i accell at it. I have done sections of movie post before, aswell as a few comercials. I'm experienced in re syncing adr, making my own foley and sfx and I am all around very skilled in PT.

My sound library right now including SFX of all kind, Foley, ambience and everything else is sitting close to 100 Gigs atm. Always expanding it.

I'm not sure if it's going to be mixed in Van. I'll need to talk to the director. Talking with my friend in Van who got me this gig it sounded like we were going to mix it at the nice studio my school has here in Kelowna.

I am definitly trying to be ready as I can. It's a smaller budget movie, so they are not expecting the world of me. However I am going to do my best to blow their expectations out of the water.

I should be getting my book in a day or 2.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Just to be nit picky, and since you are learning...
You do not have Foley in your SFX library. Foley is recorded to picture, by foley artists, on a foley stage. What you may have are recorded footsteps and generic cloth moves, that may have been recorded in the way I mentioned, but for your current project, they are now cut FX. If you are going to use these instead of actually foleying the looped scenes, be prepared to spend countless hours cutting footsteps, cloth moves, cup downs, phone downs, backslaps......................................... ......you get the idea. On some low budget features I've done, I actually had the producer/director and his friends come in and walk the foley. Some, actually had good sync. Gurella film making at it's most fun. Have fun and learn a lot.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks, I will. I understand about the foley being done to the picture, and after you have those sounds as Sfx later. I have recorded foley before, just an error of words. Thanks for contributing Cd. We have a foley box at my school that I will most likely utilize. I've synched footsteps and such from canned sounds before, doing it in real time would be far more benefitial. This is going to be a one man sound show, so I will most likely be doing it myself.

Compared to most of you in this forum I am but a newb, but I would still apreciate some help and insight.

All the best.