Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 02:43 PM

Default MP3 export as an OPTION ? !!! where are we going?

Look Digi, I spend megabucks over the last 12 years on protools hard and software and today I had to export for the first time a file converted to MP3 just to discover that this is feature is only available as an option.
My latest ystem is a HD system and I would at least expect that we had this as a standard feature (maybe not the LE users)

where are we going ?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: MP3 export as an OPTION ? !!! where are we going?

Use iTunes instead.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:41 AM

Like Tal said, use iTunes instead. It's the same codec and it's free!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:12 AM

huh are you sure its the same encoding algorithm? I would think the digidudes would choose a superior to anything mp3 exporter, though I would like to be able to embed more information into the mp3 than the export dialog box offers. You should be able to add any column that can be displayed in windows media player.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 03-16-2004, 04:37 PM

Itunes works well.
It really amazes and dumbfounds me when Digi does something like charging for mp3 export option?!!!?!?!
I don't know what the hell they were thinking....But I can imagine it must of gone something like this:
"Hey, I have a good idea. Let's sell 15,000 dollar systems to everyone and then charge them extra for MP3 export."
"Great thinking Bob. Now we're really sucking their blood dry. And I've got a great idea too, let's start making importing files an option they have to buy too. We'll get them coming and going. Hahahahahaha......."

Shame on you digi.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: MP3 export as an OPTION ? !!! where are we goi

Looks like it is time for our semi-annual explanation of why MP3 Option is a paid option, which I have saved a copy of for just such an occassion.

The MP3 Export and MP3 Option software costs $19.95 (USD) to cover the codec licensing fee that Digidesign pays to the Fraunhofer Institute for each and every MP3 Option sold. I can see where that might appear to be Digidesign trying to "nickle and dime" the customer if you were not aware of the per-use licensing fee, but that is not the case. The Fraunhofer codec is generally recognized as the number one MP3 encoding codec available.

In order to use that codec in every copy of Pro Tools, Digidesign would need to raise the price of every copy of Pro Tools software sold with a new system or sold as an upgrade. So every upgrade for a Pro Tools customer for instance would be @ $15-20 more. I don't know how other companies do it, but I would imagine they figure their cost into what the customer is charged. I believe Apple also uses the Fraunhofer codec for iTunes, since it is based on SoundJam, which also used those codecs. They probably have such a high volume that they have some sort of flat fee or estimate worked out with Fraunhofer. In any case, they are paying as well and passing that along to the end user without mentioning it. We don't have the same volume to be able to afford the type of licensing fees we would have to pay to include every single Pro Tools user.

Since a number of users either don't need the MP3 capability in Pro Tools, or already use one of the many other MP3 encoders available, the majority of customers may not necessarily need or want this option. You do have the option of bouncing to disk in Pro Tools to a mono or stereo file, then using another MP3 Encoder. Some are free, like iTunes.

We feel that the only fair way is to charge only those customers that want this option rather than all users. It is not something that we make money on, we either break even or in some years actually lose money on MP3 Option because there is also a large minimum annual fee paid to Fraunhofer in addition to the payment of a license fee for every single copy sold of MP3 Option.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:21 PM

Hey Digiguys,

I would think that with your expert staff of programmers, that it would be a natural for you all to develop a digidesign based mp3 codec, which would most likely be better than the Fraunhofer codec which requires reselling the codec license. I can also understand not wanting to reinvent the wheel, but I happen to know that there are a LOT of open source mp3 encoding algorithms available that you could use, make better, and resell royalty free. I mean all of your other products are proprietary, why not the mp3 option?

At least you could offer a cheaper (i.e. digirack) codec that isnt the premium one so there could at least be the functionality, then those who want the good codec can buy it.

I'd also like my audio to be able to be encoded in other mp3 formats like the ogg vorbis or Mp3Pro flavors of mp3 encoding. Shouldn't I be able to get these all within Protools? Seems like you could commission other companies to provide that kind of functionality as sort of a Codec Development Program. Third parties could sell their export codecs they developed through the same way that I can buy plug in's like Waves, complete with strict digidesign standards.

I purchased the Mp3 encoder a long time ago under my Digi 001 and have been thankful that the authorization transferred to the new HD accel3 rig.

In closing, I really think these are the days where mp3 encoding is a cutting edge technology that is very important in today's marketplace, where the Hi End Audio recording guys (that's us) should be able to have the highest levels of quality and encoding options.

Regards,
Keny

p.s.

I would also think that mp3 as a file format could really come in handy for internet based session transfers. I believe Cool Edit allows you to record with a standard file format of mp3. Yeah it's poor quality, but then again I am in the process of sending a 1.4 gigabyte session through a cheesy ftp program that hangs every three 20 megabyte files at 31 Kb/s over my cable modem. In this case, the hi-res files are necescary, but I could see how if I were collaborating with a songwriter and sending prototype tracks back and forth the time saved could be really handy.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 PM

7 Experts Sound Off After a Music Test

Any ways, i was involved in this article a couple years back, and I wonder if there would be any people interested in really making a test of audio streaming formats in a controlled environment like a studio. In this article, the testing parameters were done in this guys living room - complete with cheesy speakers, so it caused a lot of commotion about the legitimacy of his test.

myspace page
Old 03-17-2004, 11:15 AM

What upsets me is that I have purchased it twice! When I upgrade I seem to loose the license. It drives me nuts. I currently export to AIFF import to itunes and convert to MP3. What a pain! By the way, I don't seem to have to pay Apple for the licence fee for the MP3 export. They just throw it in when I spend a few hundred on their OS. I figure you could just throw it in when I spend 12K with you guys. Sheesh!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:28 AM

How about providing the MP3 export option for free implemented with the LAME mp3 encoder. You could still provide a 20$ option for those that want to use the Fraunhofer codec.

I also lost my MP3 option when I upgraded. It would be nice for you to add ilok support for this plugin as well.