Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-30-2006, 11:55 AM

Default trouble getting high volume after bounce

I'm fairly new to ProTools (>1 yr) and I am finding that i have trouble getting my bounced tracks to have volume levels comparable to most CD's. I try to get the master fader track level as high as it can go w/o clipping, usually using a limiter too. any advice?

thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Re: trouble getting high volume after bounce

Found some cool stuff on this. Research some threads about master faders and/or mastering too.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 PM

Hi there ...

This may not be exactly what you want to hear, but:

In spite of what plugin vendors may want you to believe, there is no 'easy' way to get that delicate balance between slamming volume and acceptable artifacts/distortion that many of the CDs you are probably listening to as references may have reached. My humble experience is that a lot of work has usually gone into achieving this.

A number of my mastering collegues have made a reputation out of delivering just this outcome. If it was just a matter of inserting this or that plug ... well, there wouldn't be much of a call for their services at that professional level and the makers of Class A analogue goodies would all have probably perished into history.

So, don't be discouraged.

It's often overlooked that levels like those you are seeking can usually be traced back to the initial stages of recording and mixing. Everything has been done from day one to minimise (or help make) the inevitable sonic compromises that come with slamming stuff acceptable and even sound great.

You could experiment with the usual plugin suspects: the ubiquitous L2, and the Sony Oxford Inflator and Limiter are both nice things. Many find that incremental, progressive compression ... that is using two different compressors at light settings can help. And there are of course a host of cheaper 'mastering' plugs that deliver results you may or may not be comfortable with (a search will turn up lots).

Of course, I have to add the obvious: louder is not always better.

Good luck, and have fun with the music.

Kind regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post
Old 11-30-2006, 10:43 PM

I've decided to get the best possible sound I can get and then let the mastering pros take over. When you listen to a comercial CD you have to keep in mind that it has been mastered so it will probably be louder than your mix. So if you can't get it as loud at least get it to sound as good or as close dynamicly. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:38 PM

thanks for the tips!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 AM

Assuming that your peaks are close to 0 dBFS, the primary way of increased perceived volume is to reduce the dynamic range and increase the level overall.

First look for stray peaks in the audio. Reducing them will cause the least damage overall to your sound since they are usually short in duration. A brickwall limiter is the main tool for doing this, though some engineers overload converters, or simply raise the level of the audio into clipping and then reduce the volume slightly to avoid clipping (shred, not recommended).

In addition to lowering peaks, most MEs will also use compressors to help raise the average level. Often times we use more than one compressor to help "spread out the load" and for different purposes. Some just due to the character of the sound of the compressor, other times using one possibly for quicker response, another for slower, etc.

In addition to comps and limiters, there are of course things like volume automation and getting out the old pencil tool in some extreme cases.

Perceived "loudness" is more than just dynamic manipulation however. It's a combination of frequency balance, average levels, and generally a great mix.