Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-16-2022, 12:44 PM

Default Anybody still on MacPro 5,1/High Sierra? Which latest PT version is stable?

Hey guys,
I'm still running on my trusty old Mac 5,1 and on High Sierra as I rely on a pretty complex macro system that's based on Controller Mate - which unfortunately has been died long time ago and is not even capable of running flawlessly on Mojave.

I've recently noticed that the last officially supported verison of PT is supposed to be 2020.12! Not knowing that I've had successfully upgraded up to 2021.10 already which runs pretty smooth and without major issues as far as I can see.

Now, has anybody also still running on this old grandpa already upgraded to the latest versions without noticeable issues ? Like 2022.9? And if not up to 2022.9, which was the lastest "known" version running well?

Kind regards and thanks for any appreciated feedback on this topic!
Old 11-17-2022, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Anybody still on MacPro 5,1/High Sierra? Which latest PT version is stable?

One of our rigs here is still running High Sierra (for now) on the 5.1 cheesegrater, running PT Ultimate 2022.7.
We've seen a lot of random crashes but these seem to be plugin related. It hasn't crashed since updating all plugins to the latest versions. Other than the known bugs there are no issues.
I believe anything newer than 2022.7 doesn't even install on High Sierra.
GPU cards are updated to RX570
Old 11-17-2022, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Anybody still on MacPro 5,1/High Sierra? Which latest PT version is stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Other than the known bugs there are no issues.
Ha ha. I loved this statement, so I printed it and stuck if above my monitor. Lol

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 11-17-2022, 12:14 PM

Ive got an upgraded grater. Using 2019.7. Sierra. I CANNOT get High Sierra to install. I don't know why. other than maybe I am using a newer graphics card.

Its SUPER stable. so I am afraid to even mess with its mojo.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
Ive got an upgraded grater. Using 2019.7. Sierra. I CANNOT get High Sierra to install. I don't know why. other than maybe I am using a newer graphics card.

Its SUPER stable. so I am afraid to even mess with its mojo.
The newer graphics card shouldn't have anything to do with your issue. I'm running the original card that came with the system on my profile page and PT2021.6 just fine. Just wish I could find a Metal compatible graphics card that doesn't cost an arm a leg & my left testicle

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2022, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The newer graphics card shouldn't have anything to do with your issue. I'm running the original card that came with the system on my profile page and PT2021.6 just fine. Just wish I could find a Metal compatible graphics card that doesn't cost an arm a leg & my left testicle
Have you tried to find a used RX560/570/580 card? Doesn't have to be an Apple flashed version. I believe anything newer doesn't work anyway with High Sierra (maybe 1 generation newer, not sure).
Old 11-18-2022, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Have you tried to find a used RX560/570/580 card? Doesn't have to be an Apple flashed version. I believe anything newer doesn't work anyway with High Sierra (maybe 1 generation newer, not sure).
I don't deal in used cards especially video cards. HS can use a Metal compatible card so anything newer should work ok but that depends on the drivers or if it's Apple flashed. And I don't deal in eBay stuff either - don't trust it. Affordable video cards for Macs are like a crash-proof PT - nice if you can have it

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2022, 01:21 PM

Thanks guys for your feedbacks - especially from "Farhoof" - good to read that 22.7 still seems to run pretty good! So I'll give it a try soon....

Regarding the graphics card issues.....I remember that I've upgraded also to a Sapphire GTX580 (8GB) last year. This was also related to trying fixing some GPU-related issues like ProTools graphics lags - but I'm not sure anymore that those really fixed the problem or whether a newer version of PT did it.
Anyway I agree with musicman that the impossibility of installing HS shouldn't be related to the graphics card in general....but this isn't a waterproof scientific statement either....
Old 11-21-2022, 06:37 AM

I think it depends on which 5.1 you have. I had the less powerful version 6 core by 3.33. It became unusable for anything but email and other simple apps.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 11-21-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I think it depends on which 5.1 you have. I had the less powerful version 6 core by 3.33. It became unusable for anything but email and other simple apps.
That's definitely not true in my case - my 5,1 (initially a 2010 but pimped up later as 2012 12-core 3,46) is still a pretty useful studio workhorse (96GB RAM also help) - aside from the obvious software bottleneck problems that were the reason for this thread...