Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Great stuff from badperson and editor as well (I may start covering Wishing Well at some of my acoustic shows if you don't mind, eman).

Looking forward to hearing more music on here.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

groovilator,

No problem, cover "Wishing Well" if you like. That was one of those songs that just flowed out of me, ...to tell the truth, I take no credit for anything I write... Somehow the universe just runs them through me. I think all songs are out there, hanging out in the "tone river" waiting to be discovered. If people ask me how or where I got the idea for a song I honestly don't know, its all a big blank when i am writing. I just started recording ever time I play and they started jumping out, ...if I manage to stay outta' the way. "Wishing well" was done with every instrument in one take and I wrote the words as I sang them. It sorta' had a non perfect thing going on, that worked, even though the urge was to do some retakes and edits, I left it alone. Its the story of my life up until the day I was 28, written between 2:30 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. on my 28th birthday. I write a song on every birthday I manage to make.

Rob,

I need to catch up on a lot of listening in this thread .....and Rob, I worked mastering on your tune "Wedding" a bit, then I shot an email to Inteldoc, to see how he was doing on it; and he said he was doing a remix, as It was close, but not quite ready for full mastering. I had that song stuck in my head for several days (which is a good thing because I usually forget em' as fast as they get loaded in), as I spent several hours trying to get it perfectly under control. It all sounds great, although, The crunch guitar was running all over that great chorus and your vox got outta phase somehow... all these gremlins come out in mastering and make a tune sound small. No worries, its gonna' get there and its a good tune, keep up the good work.

Regards to all

e

Partial list of album credits/editor.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/apple/
Songs Instrumentals...
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/eman/
Video Boy at work....
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ing%20goat.mov
some music I did with PT....
Songs with vocals...
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/mac911/
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/mactech/
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/zap

Old 03-06-2004, 08:56 PM

Sorry for all the URL's, my server only allows 10/25 meg websites, that cannot be linked or reference each other.

Regards

e
Old 03-07-2004, 12:44 AM

groovilator/Tony,

I listened to your stuff, I gotta' say you have a great voice man. I dig the jazzy feel in your tunes. I would also like to hear you sing some stuff with a kinda alt. rock feeling. Although, I would keep the stripped down feeling, as it works very well for you, intentional or not. I think you're as good as Sting, except when you change registers you are actually more smooth in your vocal note transitions, I am truly impressed.

I'll get back with more of you later, as there is a lot of good stuff here, its late & crash out time now

Regards

e

Old 03-07-2004, 01:46 AM

Gravel, I like "overboard" A LOT ! ...and therefore I want to offer some constructive criticism ( so please take this for what it is) :

- the drums seem to drift here and there. Time for some "grid mode" editing ...might sound daunting, but you can fix this. Or is it the bass vs the drums ? Tighten it up.
- I hear too much room on the drums. Maybe loose some ambiance, and compress them a tad more.
- I would make the guitars sound a bit dryer. Too much 'verb & fx ?
- the overall sound lacks a bit of focus (vague enough for you ? ). It's a bit muddy at times. I would add a bit of mid to the guitars, or play with the stereo image (panning)a bit more.
- I was expecting something exciting to happen around 2'09", I don't know...a guitar riff playing the melody with some delay, a big mute, a syncopated bvox/bass/drums thingy...at the very least bring up those bvoxes !
I pulled out the old 63 Jaguar and tried this (quick-n-dirty) : http://twanglab.netstudio.be/audio/OverboardRiff.mp3
So what I mean is not a real solo, but something to keep stuff happening...
- Lead vocal should be a bit louder. Your wife has a VERY cool voice, so don't you guys be shy, push that fader up !

I think I hear EXACTLY where you're heading to...and I like it ('been listening to a lot of new wave, Sir Gravel, mmm ? Raise your hands veeeerrry slowly and drop those Siouxie/Altered images/Prentenders cd's... ). But I think you should make it snappier, and the track would instantly be even more effective. In short pop songs like these, EVERYTHING should be in its place for a reason, or chucked out.
There's something really cool happening on this track, so don't stop there !
Old 03-07-2004, 09:44 AM

Hello to all. It's been quite some time since I've posted any of my work (BTW Roy, that album with the tune you liked so much, "Out of Here", should be out soon, hopefully anyway, the rest of my payment for the projuect is contingent on them actually selling some of the albums!). It's just been one of those stretches where it's seems like work that actually inspires me and reminds me why I love this job is never gonna come my way again. And then, like every time before, the phone rings and I wind up with a gig that sends me to new heights emotionally. That call came Friday around 12:30. The artist was in the middle of rehearsal with a full symphony orchestra. I'd done a few projects for the conductor (a hell of a jazz bassist, some of you have probably heard some of his stuff that I've posted before) and I think that's why the call came my way when the artist's manager decided to see if there was any way the show could be recorded. I agreed right away, even though the facility could only send $200 my way, headed straight out to the dress rehearsal without any of my gear, came to the rescue of a faltering sound system during the rehearsal (the poor employees there and the gear they've got to make do with, thank God i'm not them!), then ran off to fetch all my mics and almost the entire contents of my studio. I finally got everything set up and working about half an hour before curtain, no chance to even set levels, but pulled off a flawless recording of a completely sold out show! I'm mixing it right now, but jeez it's tough, just about every other song sends me straight into tears (well, that should give you some sense of how bad things have been lately). Okay, suspicious yet, this artist doesn't only have grammys, he's even got an academy award and is featured as the subject of running sketches on Mad TV and from time to time on SNL (i think). I don't think I'd be too far off if I made the claim that there probably isn't a soul in the US that hasn't heard at least one of his tunes before. Anyone figure out who I'm talking about yet? Well, obviously I can't exactly post it without risk of getting my tail seriously sued, but I would like some feedback from some of the colleagues whose ears I've come to trust: Roy, Kev, Chris/Doc, etc... If you guys could drop me an e-mail or something so I could send you a tune or two to critique I would be very appreciative. You fellas seem to recognize and respect the craft that is music (not just art, not just science, but definitely a full-marriage of the two) as I do, and I think you'll appreciate this guys music as much as I do if for nothing more than a recognition of another's mastery of that craft. Thanks all.

-Chris
[email protected]
Old 03-07-2004, 04:25 PM

ok, here's another one. just finished up. the last couple of songs i posted were remixes. this one is all original. i recorded the vox on friday for this girl i helped out a little bit with her r&b song. she gave me the vox in return to use how i like...

My Unconditional Luver

(try to ignore the autotune artifacts )
Old 03-08-2004, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Roy, that album with the tune you liked so much, "Out of Here", should be out soon....-Chris

Chris,
That's great... that's some of the best recorded (and played) jazz I've ever heard. Bottom line is that I really enjoy listening to it. I came away very impressed with your engineering abilities. Let me know if and when it's out.
I just emailed you on the new stuff...
-Roy
Old 03-08-2004, 08:46 AM

e.man,
I just listened to wishing well: seriously cool. Those lyrics are fly-written?
Amazing. I like your voice.
What did you use to do the drums?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:04 AM

Brian,
Very interesting song...all the things going on are cool...that cym thing is great...drums sound really good.
Is this the same singer as from the 'Kinky Reggae' stuff?
-rh
Old 03-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Is this the same singer as from the 'Kinky Reggae' stuff?
new girl. the voice isn't much, but the body makes up for that!