Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-12-2015, 01:56 PM

Default Using Vocal Rider to automate Pro Tools channel faders [Video 02:03]

Hi all, I just picked up Vocal Rider yesterday. Tried it out today, I had some time to make a quick screen capture video, so here's a quick tip for you.

If you use Vocal Rider but other people you work with don't, then it's kinda useless on its own if you're sharing sessions. This video will show you how to convert the Vocal Rider automation into channel fader automation so it can play back on any Pro Tools system.

Note: This same process can be used to convert Vocal Rider automation into Trim automation. A good method is to set vocal rider to ride very smoothly, and then fine-tune with touch automation and a quick autoglide setting.

Watch in HD 1080! https://youtu.be/dGkN1fWpWkc
Old 11-09-2015, 08:51 AM

Default Re: [Video 02m 03s] Using Vocal Rider to automate Pro Tools channel faders

Thanks for this video, very cool! I do however have a question about vocal rider maybe you could answer. When it comes to multiple takes (say for instance the chorus) would you do this same method to each individual track? And I also wanted to clarify, the whole purpose of riding vocals is to improve the dynamic performance of the vocal track to sit perfect in a mix with the music so the vocal increases / decreases just as the music itself does correct? Thank you!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Default Re: [Video 02m 03s] Using Vocal Rider to automate Pro Tools channel faders

Yeah, there's nothing stopping you from doing it across multiple tracks. That requires multiple instances of vocal rider. I would not use this to "auto-mix" a track though, just to rein in a more dynamic performance a bit so I can do another gentle pass with trim automation.

The purpose of riding the fader, with or without a tool assisting you, is to control dynamics. Very similar to compression, but (usually) more transparent.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Yeah, there's nothing stopping you from doing it across multiple tracks. That requires multiple instances of vocal rider. I would not use this to "auto-mix" a track though, just to rein in a more dynamic performance a bit so I can do another gentle pass with trim automation.

The purpose of riding the fader, with or without a tool assisting you, is to control dynamics. Very similar to compression, but (usually) more transparent.
Excellent thank you I just wanted to make sure will had the basic concept right. Since I have you here though one more question to make sure I am doing this right to feed in the music....on my stereo instrumental file (hip hop beat) I create a send to a mono bus, then I put that bus as the key input on vocal rider (which I have set up on a stereo aux and use as a send to all my vocal tracks) does this seem to be a correct way to send the music to VR as well as have VR as a send to each vocal? Thoughts? Thanks so much.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:18 AM

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve... The way you describe it will essentially duck the vocals, making them much harder to hear over the instrumental.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve... The way you describe it will essentially duck the vocals, making them much harder to hear over the instrumental.
Oddly enough it doesn't seem to do that at all, it seems to ride them out very effectively.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Using Vocal Rider to automate Pro Tools channel faders [Video 02:03]

It took me a while to find an answer, but here it goes.
  • In Vocal Rider - arm the "rider" for automation
  • Put Vocal Rider in Write mode
  • Track in automation write mode
  • Hit play and let the Vocal Rider do what it does
When done -
  • F7 and select the Vocal Rider automation you want to be fader volume moves
  • CMD C - copies this
  • On that track, display "VOLUME" automation
  • Edit pulldown - PASTE SPECIAL (CTRL CMD V) which is "To Current Automation Type"
You can now disable or remove vocal rider from that track because all the vocal rider moves are now track volume moves.