Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
Look, to make an analogy to illustrate my thoughts.

But for some reason the manufacturer of your car tells you that you can't no longer drive on highway because you need a new license plate..
To continue with this thought - the answer is 3rd party aftermarket parts

Now the question can be - what controller should I buy in the future or...

Who can write a driver for my non working (in PT11) unit....!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
The problem is that it has nothing to do with how much effort it takes to write the driver or test it or whatever.

The issue is that Avid wants to sell new hardware to you and you're not gonna buy it if you keep using your old stuff.
I don't agree with you in this situation. The people hit the hardest by this decision are people who have invested before and were planning on investing more now. Going from HD to HDX isn't cheap. Pro Tools 11 isn't cheap.

And there's no clear choice for people with these consoles to replace them. The C24 is getting old and everything else is either a lot more expensive or a toy compared to what we have now.

I don't think the motivation is to get you to buy another control surface. I think Avid would prefer that you didn't have to and could just upgrade the other stuff.

But this is just my opinion.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM

THE WAY I SEE IT IS

When I first got into Pro Tools AVID had just took over.
DIGIDESIGN had a reputation for keeping things running long as possible.
So even though the investments in Digidesign were proprietary (sorry my spell check is off) it was a realistic expectation that things would continue to function as long as actually possible.

This being said many of us invested in this confedence. And possibly because of.

Now that we understand things will just change and change and change again with out no good reason or bennifit for us.
It feels as though one of the or the biggest reason to invest in this company was really just a misguided potentailly huge mistake. That could take years to recover from finnancailly. FOR NO FAULT OF OURS.

So if this is the way things are now< I guess we have to accept it but AVID has made it clear they only care about now.

Irf you believe that, you must also consider when purchasing new equipment in the future.
Is AVID going to support the commitment of this product. FOR HOW LONG , UNTIL WHEN , IS IT AVID COMPATIBLE ONLY. is there third party indrustry support for this right now at this minute.

After considering all that. Consumers may come to the conclusion AVID products are short lived and not viable for a long term commitment.

Which is ironic because we invested in AVID for our future.
And that is exactly what they took then wont let us have.

NEVER IN MY LIFE WOULD I IMAGINE SOMETHING LIKE THIS COULD EVER HAPPEN.

investing in a buisiness really is investing in there integrity.
Its hard to forgive a decades of personal struggle only to be forgetton in the end. We should have been at the finnish line, but now were just starting all over again. go figure.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
The C24 is getting old and everything else is either a lot more expensive or a toy compared to what we have now.
I dont see any motivation to buy either an Icon $urface or a (toy) Artist Series controller.
Nothing like my 32 fader ProControl.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P,B,S View Post
THE WAY I SEE IT IS

DIGIDESIGN had a reputation for keeping things running long as possible.
Avid was pulling Digis string for years before the re-branding

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
DIGIDESIGN had a reputation for keeping things running long as possible..
FYI, that was 1996.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Orozco View Post
I dont see any motivation to buy either an Icon $urface or a (toy) Artist Series controller.
Nothing like my 32 fader ProControl.
I totally agree. The Pro Control is a Pro unit that feels like it will last forever.

I'd be looking for a 16 fader unit right now if Avid had changed their mind.

I might even pick one up anyway if they drop in $$$$ the way I think they will.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:

After considering all that. Consumers may come to the conclusion AVID products are short lived and not viable for a long term commitment.
I have a few questions for anyone who still owns a Control 24 or a Pro Control.

1. When did you buy it? New or used?

2. If when you bought it, you were told that it wouldn't work with Pro Tools 11 in 2013, would you still have bought it?

Thanks

Quote:

Now we won't buy new hardware from AVID, won't buy the updates and moreover never buy again a control surface which is not UNIVERSAL which means from another company.
Not necessarily. Eucon is the new standard and most (all??) DAWs are supporting it. It could still disappear in 12 - 14 years but it looks like all new controllers in the foreseeable future will be Eucon.

Quote:
AVID has a page called "AVID and the Environment" on their website which I find quite ironic and somewhat paradoxal considering their planned obsolescence strategy.
Perhaps. Instead of figuring out how to get these drivers for Pro Tools. Which ain't happening. Maybe someone can convert these units to be Eucon devices.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Of there current products http://news.apogeedigital.com/

I don't see the AD-8000 or Rosetta as supported, so not all of there products are supported.
Because there are EOL products to Apogee.
Rosetta cannot have PT11 support because it does not have PT interface. Their X-HD card however (which fits to Rosetta) is supported and I can verify works very well with PT11. The new 3.00 firmware makes the X-HD card appear as an Avid HD interface as far as PT is concerned.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 AM

If a coder could modify the C24 drivers so PT11 recognize the Control 24 as a C24 it could work without the number keypad of course. Just like Pro Tools can see third party interfaces as 192 i/o in Pro Tools HD.

I think the Control 24 and C24 share some common codes, just like it seems the DIGI002 and DIGI003 do.

I think this is why the DIGI002 is still working! As it's unsupported so AVID haven't coded anything for this unit! So I guess they just let people try the DIGI002 with the 003 drivers and it worked.

It was probably the same situation with the Control 24 and the C24 that's why it was first on the "may work" list!

I guess it's not as complex as it seems to be, we have to find a good coder to write it.

There are a lot of talented young coders who like that kind of challenge! It's like a contest for them.

Illegal or not, who cares. Maybe it's just like jailbreaking an iphone, not approved by Apple but not illegal! Also, it's not "hacking" something but "fixing" something!

Maybe the workaround could be possible for Pro Control as well with codes from the D Command or something.