Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x9blade View Post
If one knob works why wouldnt the others work.why does it have to be so complicated.if one fader works the other faders should work.
Do you own a pro control or control 24?
Seems like mostly all buttons are an on off switch.pan left to right,fader up and down,mute on or off etc etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 - 64 - 128 - 256 - 512 - 1024 - 2048 - 4096 - 8192 - 16384 - 32768 ... etc, the power of two.

So if you have 16 buttons (on/off) you have 32768 combinations to test. And if you have 32 buttons (on/off) you have 2147483648 (yes, over 2000 million) combinations to test. And these are just on/off buttons.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please! Dont you think your going a little overboard? Really? If it were like the way you are making it out to be, nothing in the known world would get done.

Im buying a new computer keyboard but before i do the company has to spell everyword in the english language to make
sure it works....
Just Make the fricken drivers and help these invested professionals for goodness sake. As far as testing every single combination is concerned... i know that Avid has never released something that had glitches or bugs before....cough cough... jut let the users beta test for free (nothin new) except if Avid releases the drivers, it would shut me up and make a commitment to customer service ! (and I dont even own one of these colossal giant consoles). I suspect the supporters/explainers/theorists are shareholders...or have received perks from Avid in some way shape or form.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM

OK, now that I am certain my Control 24 is nothing more than worthless as far as moving ahead with my recording software, I think we need to start a new thread.

Which DAW software is Windows compatible and has the shortest learning curve for a ten year PT user? Time to move on to a company that values it's customers who spend tens of thousands on their products.

Anybody wanna buy a big heavy paperweight?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 PM

I think others may make the same conclusion.....to move on.

All the best with your quest

Very sad Avid, seeing your life blood drain away by your own actions, business suicide by forcing your customers away......
Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 PM

I was thinking of getting a Slate Digital MTX Raven, but what happens if Avid kills HUI compatibility???....
Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM

I'm so pissed off about this situation, I'm about ready to go outside Avid with a picket sign. Who's with me?

I wonder if the shareholders know how much money they're throwing away, and how badly they're burning their customers. I think it's up to us to let them know.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM

See that Apogee have announced full compabilility with PT11 for their products.
Nice to see that some companies know how to look after their customers with seemingly ease.

A lesson for Avid?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
See that Apogee have announced full compabilility with PT11 for their products.
Nice to see that some companies know how to look after their customers with seemingly ease.

A lesson for Avid?
Of there current products http://news.apogeedigital.com/

I don't see the AD-8000 or Rosetta as supported, so not all of there products are supported.
Because there are EOL products to Apogee.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Of there current products http://news.apogeedigital.com/

I don't see the AD-8000 or Rosetta as supported, so not all of there products are supported.
Because there are EOL products to Apogee.
I also don't see my PSX-100 (sold it years ago) that I bought the same day that I bought the Pro Control.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM

The problem is that it has nothing to do with how much effort it takes to write the driver or test it or whatever.

The issue is that Avid wants to sell new hardware to you and you're not gonna buy it if you keep using your old stuff.

Doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong that's the decision they made.

Only time and $$ will tell whether it was the correct decision. This is the same kind of stunt they pulled with:

- discontinuing CPTK
- preventing TDM systems from working as regular sound cards in ProTools 11
- creating a lot of confusion re: selling used hardware (threads claiming it's no longer possible to transfer your ProTools licence to a second hand purchaser)

Personally I don't think that continually aggravating your customers in transparent attempts to wring more money out of them is a good idea, but what do I know.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Not if you're looking for a return on investment in 10 or more years.

Not to excuse anything that happened here but when we bought our units, did we think they were going to last as long as an API, SSL or Neve console in terms of relevance?

I bought my Pro Control in 1999 and bought two Control 24s in 2001. If someone had warned me that they wouldn't work in 2013 using Pro Tools 11, I don't think it would have mattered to me in the least.

I was using Pro Tools 5.1 at the time with a Mix system and three 888s on a Mac G3 computer running OS9.

"This thing will work until Pro Tools 11????"

That would have sounded pretty good to me.
Look, to make an analogy to illustrate my thoughts.

Let's say you bought a pretty expensive new car in 2000 from a well known and trusty manufacturer. Ten years later your car is still running fine and is almost like new because you took great care of it.

But for some reason the manufacturer of your car tells you that you can't no longer drive on highway because you need a new license plate. So you ask how much for the license plate but he tells you that he doesn't want to make it because the new one are different and it's not the strategy of the company or it's too expensive and your car is too old etc etc... But everyone knows that your car is still great and could perfectly drive on highway without any problem as it just needs someone to make a new license plate that fits your car. So from now all you can do is to drive on small roads or buy a new car...

How frustrating and ridiculous is that?

I can't find any excuse for AVID not to keep supporting their own controllers. The logic would be they stopped supporting third party controllers first and make theirs still compatible with new releases. Even if they don't really "support" third party controllers so to speak but some of their cheaper products are still working...

Of course the technology requires further adjustments to make it work but it's all for good. You keep your customers tied to your ecosystem, you force them to buy new hardware and further updates. Is that not enough?

Now we won't buy new hardware from AVID, won't buy the updates and moreover never buy again a control surface which is not UNIVERSAL which means from another company.

AVID has a page called "AVID and the Environment" on their website which I find quite ironic and somewhat paradoxal considering their planned obsolescence strategy.