Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-12-2021, 05:09 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,370
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquier View Post
The 'cheap' option here would be fixing my iMac's GPU and carry on for a few more months or however long it's going to take until the M1s are 100% compatible with PT and the majority of plugins.
What exact iMac do you have? I ask because I went down the road of trying to fix/replace the GPU in my old 2010 27 inch iMac that's in my profile. Spent quite a bit of time trying and eventually gave up. Took it to a shop and they tried reflowing the solder on the GPU chip - didn't work. They then replaced the card with a supposed new one and that only lasted about a week. Eventually pulled the plug and have the machine stowed away.


There's heat issues with those old iMacs so any fix won't last long.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-12-2021, 06:13 AM
Riquier Riquier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 89
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
AFAIK Universal Audio drivers for M1 are not ready yet.

Best

Mark
that's correct, however, according to UA, it works.
I think I'm rolling the dice here but I'm going for the M1. Pray for me, y'all
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-12-2021, 01:47 PM
Obsidian Dragon Obsidian Dragon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,026
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquier View Post
that's correct, however, according to UA, it works.
I think I'm rolling the dice here but I'm going for the M1. Pray for me, y'all
Good luck. Keep us posted on your experience. I'm considering a new UA Apollo interface, so am interested how everything goes.
__________________
Obsidian Dragon
MacBookPro14,3 - Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz, 16 GB
MacOS 11.3.1 running Protools 2021.3.1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-14-2021, 07:40 PM
TimothyJohn TimothyJohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore, United States
Posts: 238
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquier View Post
Hey there folks,

I know a lot has been talked about regarding this topic but I found myself in the middle of a conundrum. My old iMac just died (GPU) and I don't think it'll be worth to repair it. That leaves me the option to either buy an intel-based mac (more expensive and soon to be outdated) or a new M1, even though PT isn't yet supported officially.
I work mostly (90%) in music. Is anyone ACTUALLY using an M1 as their main machine without any major hassles?

Cheers

R.
Verified Apple Event, April 20. Days away!
Strong rumors that the new 24" iMac is being released.
I recommend waiting a few days. 16gb ram. 1tb SSD. The smaller the drive, the less writes before the drive "wears". 1tb x 0.3 = 300gb per day. Stay under that, and the SSD should last 30-50 yrs.

I'm using a MacBook Air, M1. Absolutely killer. Just upgraded to latest Pro Tools, on latest Big Sur. I also just acquired an Apollo Solo. I finished installing and authorizing all my old and new plugins. Haven't used it yet. BTW, the lack of heat and fan noise coupled with the insane performance makes me realize ... they FINALLY delivered on the promise of killer mobile recording/producing setups.

But since April 20th is so close, I recommend hanging tight. A 24" iMac might offer an even MORE robust processor, GPU, ram, etc.

And Pro Tools is still running through Rosetta 2. Once they get it running natively on M1 .... 😎
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2021, 06:59 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,277
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquier View Post
that's correct, however, according to UA, it works.
I think I'm rolling the dice here but I'm going for the M1. Pray for me, y'all
As TimothyJohn said ....Looks like Apple will be offering an M1 and maybe M1 X iMac next week .....
Also realizing M1 is not a computer it is a chip, you failed to disclose what M1 chipped computer your are getting
MB Air - MB Pro - or Mini ?

Just curious
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.3 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-15-2021, 07:21 AM
Michael Carnes's Avatar
Michael Carnes Michael Carnes is offline
Development Partner
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Salt Lake Valley
Posts: 187
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

You'll be running under Rosetta (emulation) until PT, all your plugins and your interface are M1 native. That's likely to take several more months. I have heard that Rosetta works very well, but you won't really be getting M1 performance until everything is ported. You might consider picking up a 2018 Mini or a used old-style cheesegrater to tide you over.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-15-2021, 07:59 AM
gives's Avatar
gives gives is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,268
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Big question here would be: how long you are prepared to wait until your new system is operational? If you need to work on it next week, you better buy some old Intel hardware. Apple Silicon is not there yet
That's what I would do as JFreak mentions here. Maybe just grab an inexpensive trash can as I see more of them around. I am still running mine with Dolby Atmos and have no problems at all. Waiting to see what the year bring us with M1 compatibility and new Mac Pro design etc. A new M1 is just too risking with ProTools at this time if you business is dependent on it.

G
__________________
Gregory Ives, Composer/Sound Designer/Musician
http://www.gregives.com
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm1170521/?ref_=sch_int

Protools 2021.3.1 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid MTRX
Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Catalina 10.15.7 Digital Performer 9.5.2, Logic Pro X 10.6.1
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-15-2021, 12:02 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Sopranos State (NJ)
Posts: 18,370
Default Re: Need to buy a new mac asap - should I risk an M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
You'll be running under Rosetta (emulation) until PT, all your plugins and your interface are M1 native. That's likely to take several more months. I have heard that Rosetta works very well, but you won't really be getting M1 performance until everything is ported. You might consider picking up a 2018 Mini or a used old-style cheesegrater to tide you over.
With the exception of maybe Ebay cheesegraters aren't to be had from the regular places like OWC and ipowerresale.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heartbleed security risk? Erik318 General Discussion 13 04-16-2014 04:09 PM
Mac Desktop in Cold Garage a risk?? avalle1 Getting Started 7 11-27-2013 07:37 AM
Should I risk bumping up to 7.3.x? Are you happy? johnnyv Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 7 07-16-2007 09:58 AM
MB died...should I risk it? Harpo 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 33 03-06-2007 06:50 PM
Monitor Output, is there a risk of a short? apetrocelli 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 11 12-17-2002 06:30 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com